Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys i have an alleged acrylic buck gardner canada hammer. now just to clarify, im pretty sure its not real acrylic b/c it was only 25 bucks and it is NOT a canada hammer two. its just a plain canada hammer. its too high pitched and i was wondering if anybody knew anything about tuning it. any help would be awesome

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Is it black? All the last of the acrylic calls were black. Back some time ago I think they made some in mallard green and maybe clear and bourbon also. Those are fine calls and they sold out cheap when they went to the SS calls. I saw them for $50 and less new at Gander Mt stores. Does it have the quick tune guts? Look in the insert and see if you can see if the reed has notches in the side where it sets on the tone board. Also does it have a shaved reed in it? You can tune it deeper pitch no problem.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
First take a fine point pen and put a small mark on the reed at the top of the wedge for reference. I would also put a small notch or pen mark on the tone channel at the top of the insert. This will give you some reference to not just the original tune, but will give you a good visual reference so you can see how much you change it as you work through trying different tunes. I usually do this a little above the surfaces so I have a gap between the reed mark and wedge and tone channel and insert. This is so I can go down to the mark on adjustment without loosing it.

Unless you are an accomplished tuner this takes time and trial and error. From where you are you can do two things. You can expose more reed with the same gut depth setting or you can move the whole gut system together and out of the insert a little. These both will have effect on the tone. They will aso effect how easy the call is to break. I usually prefer to move the whole thing out and keep the reed length the same if you like the speed and the way it breaks. However, you may need a slight change in reed length to compinsate for the gut set depth.

The easy tune gut system should be set up so when the reed is in the notch and pulled or pushed to the stop it is right at the end of the tone channel with the reed tip for proper clearance. I can't remember which it is and it could very from call to call anyway. You just want to make sure the tip just fits in the channel and pushes down in the channel without catching or hanging. You want to keep this clearance close.

Often what I do is get the reed fit right with the wedge on about where I want it and hold it together and slip it in the insert until it starts to hold in place. Then I grip the channel with my thumb on top and push the reed down in the channel just a little and hold the reed to the channel with the tip of my thumb on the wedge to keep it all lined up and push it in a little way. Once it starts to clamp decent I stop while there is still a little play if I wiggle the tone channel. I then start blowing it to see if I like the way it breaks and the speed, I grip the reed and channel in the same way keeping the reed tip down just a little so it doesn't slid by the end of the channel and wiggle it around a little to move it in and out under the wedge to try different reed lengths. Once I like the way it breaks I then go back to the thumb on it with the tip of the thumb on the wedge to keep it all lined up and ease it in just a little at a time and keep trying it to see how I like the way it blows and sounds. I keep an eye on the marks so I know where I am and when I get to a point setting the guts that I don't like it anymore I punch them out and start again. Usually I get real close the first time to reed length, but maybe when I get the guts set I don't quite like it so I go back and try just a tiny bit more or less reed length and go through the gut setting process again until I find the combo. The marks are critical because just a very little change in setting can make a bigger difference and if you don't have reference point you can't tell if you made much change between tries.

The Canada Hammer was my first acrylic call and the first one I got the reed was past the tone channel and I couldn't break it. I took it back and got another, but it didn't sound like I wanted. That was when I started learning to tune it and after a few days of messing around with it I got it and found it to be a great call for the price. Now my hunting partner is blowing the call and doing decent on it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i just went out in the shop and tuned it. thanks to you it sounds a lot better. and i still cant believe their selling em so cheap. thanks again for your help

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Great call, in fact I got mine from Thaner in a trade. I have the Canada Hammer, Canada Hammer 2(ps), and the SS2 on a lanyard together and never worry about which one I pick up to call with, they all sound good to me.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Glad to hear it worked out. As you get used to the call you can keep messing around with the tune to get it right in the sweet spot for you. I think tuning your own calls is critical to getting top personal performance from a call and really seeing what the call can do for you. Now when I get one I blow it a little while, but usually I start tuning after a couple days. I almost always find the call is better for me after I do some tuning. No one can tune a call for you as good as you can once you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
mallardman68 said:
Great call, in fact I got mine from Thaner in a trade. I have the Canada Hammer, Canada Hammer 2(ps), and the SS2 on a lanyard together and never worry about which one I pick up to call with, they all sound good to me.
Glad to hear that call is working out for you. My hunting partner is blowing that call and doing real well with it. It is a very under rated call. The only one I have had him try so far that he sounds decent on. The quick tune guts are great for people just learning to tune their call.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.