Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone interested in a post on building a great preforming vortex... I made mine 2 years ago using a hd wiper motor from a Volvo truck and 2 air lucky, wind activated decoys. I wired it with a 100 foot cord with the on/off switch on the battery box so I can switch it on/off from my bail blind or from the corn. We hunt outside Horicon National Wildlife Refuge in Central Wisconsin and have a great time every fall with migrating birds leaving the marsh to feed in the cut corn fields...

I tried using (still own it) a factory vortex, but found it too much trouble to hang 2 Mojo's and have not only their batteries charged... but also the 12 volt battery for the vortex.

The air luckys wings spin like crazy on low speed and really work. I also figured out a way to mount the Air Lucky's with standard hardware and a neat trick to keep them from twisting in high winds and mount easy on the vortex...

If anyone is interested... post a reply and I'll post the instructions.

Right now... I'm using a dremel to take the bottom off of 250 new water decoys I bought so I can mount them on a 1/2 inch conduit pole for field use....

Horicon

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any one in here that can help me figure out how to post photos...

If so.. I'll post photos with a description on how to build my vortex...

I'll also include my pictures of my Mallard Water Decoys that cut the bottoms off and mount on a 1/2 inch conduit with a spring... they move in the wind and work great for attracting late season weary birds into the cut corn fields..... I bought 20 Dozen last year on sale at Gander Mountain for under $10 a dozen. Flambeau Mallards....

Thanks.... Horicon

· Registered
672 Posts
possibly goto FAQ at the top of the page it should have some tip's for you to post pic's. I would help but I am not sure how to do it either. Sorry, I hope you figure it out I'm looking foward to seeing your design's

· Registered
30 Posts
Our sponsor wanted us to get one to evaluate with his decoys on it... I was not willing to pay 200 + bucks to set up some more gear that looked similar to a canival ride..lol , are they any good? What happens if one flys off the machine. Do you need hard hats for the gun dog? The battery thing killed it for us. Who wants to drag a car battery
to the duck hole???

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL...

No you don't need a hard hat... just a wheelborrow to haul away the drakes...

On a more serious note.... we hunt in cornfields that you can drive out into to setup our spread. In addition to the vortex, we also set up 2 custom made poles with a remote lucly ducks, a stationary landing mallard and a flying drake. Each one looks like a christmas tree with decoys... My guests that hunt with me always get a pretty good laugh out of our setup.. until the ducks start landing almost on their heads.

My custom made vortex is light enough to carry, but the battery would be a killer to carry into a marsh. With the wind driven lucky ducks securly attached, theres nothing to come loose. I build my vortex with a reostat built into the battery box so I can vary the speed of the decoys. I even slow it down to a complete stop to make it look like the mallards are landing.

As far as how it works.... it's works to bring in late season ducks that get heavy preassure in our area. Every pond and open field in our area has a setup that includes the robo-type spinners.

Our set-up includes 250 full body enticers and an additional 250 mallard shells mounted on a 18" plastic stakes painted orange.

As soon as I can figure out how to post my pick... I'll get everyone a set of plans.

Horicon

· Registered
3,015 Posts
Horicon. Just read your post today. I am very interested in your vortex design and pics. I love to make my own decoy's and gear. Wanted to use something like the vortex for a while. but i hunt mostly public refuges so i have to build everything very portable so that it fits into my sled and onto my homemade decoy trailer that i pull behind my butt. I am currently working on welding up a new frame so that i can pull behind a bike.

· Registered
2,760 Posts
would a battery for a motor cycle or garden tractor run your set up if you only ran it when the ducks were flying?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.