Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to build a lite weight one person layout boat that I can put in the back of a truck and then carry about 1/4 to a 1/2 mile thru the woods to a little honey hole I found. Any one have suggestions or plans? I have searched all sorts of manufactored boats but nothing I have seen matches what I have in mind.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
I think for something that one man can carry for 1/2 mile through the woods, you will have to buy a boat made from strong plastic rather than build, due to the weight. Even if you make a boat out of foam, by the time you reinforce and fiberglass it, I think it would weigh around 100 lbs. Otter outdoors has a boat called the phantom that is supposed to weigh only 55 lb. Add some decoys, gun and gear, you have quite a bit of weight. Is the pond small enough to get by without a boat? Another option would be a float tube.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Ditto... Also you might want to look at a kayak or small canoe. My yak only wieghs 39 pounds and you can throw all your gear in it and drag it very easily...even on rough/hilly/ditchy terain. By the time you build something it will be very heavy compared to a plastic yak or canoe. You can also pick up a very good used yak or canoe on craigs list for about $100-$200 which is about what it would cost you to build something.

Check out the Wilderness Systems Pamlico 100 or Heritage Classic 9.5 kayaks. They are great little duck huntin machines.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Sevlor sells an inlatable that's real lite. Comes in 9 and 12 ft lengths. If all your doing is a little paddling and setting up and not hunting in the boat that's the way to go. But even being the litest, I'd hate to carry/drag it a half a mile w/deeks, gun, etc. That's a loooong ways without an ATV.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
backcast said:
Are you planning on hunting in the boat? or is it just to get somewhere?
If I were you, I'd use a pirogue. You can get a real light one and a wheeled rack and carry all your crap inside, get to your spot and take off.
backcast has the right idea if your not planning on using it to hunt out of if so you could still build a blind for it out of PVC pipe.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I will be hunting out of the boat. Due to the topography of the shore and private land owners I cant build a blind on dry land. I was thinking a hybrid but I am worried about weight. I would like to backpack my deeks and gun in while carrying the boat.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am currently building a layout and it is 67lbs at the half way point. The frame is wood, then filled with floatation foam and fiberglassed. I think that the final weight will be around 100lbs.

I have seen those homeade foam layouts that are very light , but they are 12' long. That would be hard to travel with

·
Registered
206 Posts
im actually in the process of building a small layout boat made from foam and covered in fiberglass...im thinking that its not going to be too hard to get where i want but if i have any trouble im thinking of bolting on a couple of wheels to the back so i can put my gear inside and tow it from the front ...dont know if it will work but its just an idea so far

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
AK Ray - you nailed me. :hammer: I've been slacking. Ray has a nice rig he's working on.

I think I sent plans to the fellow in question. If I have not - then send me your e-mail address and we'll get them over to you.

At least 150-200 plans have been electronically trasferred since the end of duck season. FOR FREE! I do this to support the sport. :thumbsup:

You can build a 65# boat for between $150 and $200. It will be yours, not some plastic thing made in a roto mold. Not difficult - if I can do it, anyone can.

The foam boats are nice but they are heavier and cost more to build.

Wheels are a benefit that some guys want on their boats. I've seen several set-ups:

training wheels off a kids bike
deer carts

another guy found a rig that has an angle iron secured to the transom and another section of angle iron holds the wheels or "axle" and either bolts or pins in place. It flips up and down - looks really cool. The one I saw had the wheel bolted to the angle iron - no axle.

We hunt near our vehicles or we carry the boats by boat - my excuse for not mastering the wheel.

·
3,310 Posts
Missed where are all these plans? Do you have a site?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Just send me an IM/PM with your e-mail address and I will send you the plans/directions complete with photos - simple as that.

No website - they cost money!

This is something that was given to me by God - no other way to explain it. I got it free - you get it free. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
It all depends on what you want out of the boat.

If you want to just build one and try it for a few seasons - some guys use marine-grade 1/4 inch ply - double tape the seams for strength and use some paint.

First thin the paint and seal the wood - like decoy builders do. Then put a couple coats of paint on there. If you take care of it, this will last a while and eliminate the FG costs. It will need to be replaced where the FG version will last a long, long time.

·
Registered
126 Posts
check this out ...this may solve all of your problems ...little pricey ....but its in camo ...and a pack in ....I have the non pack in one ...and I used it two years ago on opener ...there was lots of room and it rows very nicely ......I put the decoys in the back and gun along the side ........

Arrow Backpacker Pontoon Boat

http://www.fishusa.com/tackleshop/catal ... 74E29&fx=1

1 - 20 of 27 Posts