Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
**I have had a bunch of DIY posts, where I encouraged other people to try what I was doing to compare results but this is one that I would probably discourage others from doing. That said here it is**

I weigh 150lbs, so lugging a 15lb tree climber, plus gun, shells and everything else 1 mile or so into the woods, to me, seems crazy. What I really wanted was a tree climber that was under 5lbs. No dice.

So I have designed and built my own tree climber. It is made from one 10' piece of 1/2 steel conduit pipe, 10' tubular webbing, 5' of 2" nylon strap (like a seat belt) and some screws.

This is the design. It is basically just a braced double "L" shelf like design. I tested it in Solidworks and in simulations it holds 270lbs before the front of the brace bends forward and I "fall" off.

I plan to use this with a climbing harness, so I am not to concerned with this, and as I said I weigh 150.

The point is that most tree climbers, whatever is claimed, are probably designed to hold upwards of 500lbs.

I have actually built the prototype and ground tested it, but I hope to put up some pics of me 40ft in the air this weekend.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cost:
Piping $1.50
Webbing ~$10.00
Screws $3.50

Total $15.00

Tools Reqd:
Mandel type pipe bender
Vertical Drill Press

-- I am also looking for someone that has a CAD solid model of a basic gun stock. A Ruger 10/22 is what I really want, but the basic model would get me pretty far in the right direction-- Thanks,

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.