Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an issue when my pup picks up bumpers. Max (8 1/2 months) has not been forced fetched just FYI. With his dokken and bumpers he sometimes picks them up by the end or with the duck around the feet. He does this with the large Avery bumper almost every time. Will this get fixed through FF or is there anything I can do to fix this before FF. Thanks.

Nick

·
Registered
180 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it at this stage.

When the dog goes through force fetch which i assume will be reasonbly soon you can work on the "hold position" issue.

Correct hold is a taught behavior just as any other dog training! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
I still have that Force Bumper and will be using it again this spring with Molly.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I figured this would be a force fetch thing, but being a rookie I figured I'd ask. Was that wooden dowel used through the force fetch process, IE waking fetch? How much longer do you guys think I should wait for FF?

Nick

·
Registered
319 Posts
NickCies80 said:
Thanks guys. I figured this would be a force fetch thing, but being a rookie I figured I'd ask. Was that wooden dowel used through the force fetch process, IE waking fetch? How much longer do you guys think I should wait for FF?

Nick
If I were you I wouldn't wait tell FF to start solving the problem. You can fix the bad habit now if you put some 2" pvc reducers on the ends of the bumper (pvc glue if needed). Or a bunch of zip ties on the outsides of the bumper. This way it forces the dog to grab in the middle. Its quick and easy and will make it an easier obstacle to overcome when you start FF.

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
NickCies80 said:

Nick
When FF'ing a dog I use everything I can think of. Paint rollers, Balls, Tin cans, Bumpers, Dead Birds,( Woodcock, Ducks, Geese, Grouse etc.) 2X4's, hammers, etc.
That teaches them that "HOLD" means "HOLD". It's not a suggestion,,, it's and order that is to be followed without exception.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts