Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is you Opinion on buying U.S.A Products ?
Always buy U.S.A620.69%
Buy the Best Product for my money. Reguardless of who makes it.2379.31%

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After reading a Post/Reply on a thread the other day. I thought this might make for some interesting discussion. What is your opinion and philosophies on buying U.S.A. Products.

Why do you buy like you do ?

Is U.S.A. competeing on the World Market ?

Have we Wage Priced ourselve right out of the World Economy ?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Cooter, I'd have to say I need another voting option because I'm somewhere in between. Certain items yes I go USA. and I'm willing to spend a few more stones, but I won't be trading in my Benelli, thats for damn sure. There's been at least one Chevy truck in my driveway for the past 25 years. I can gaurantee you I won't be buying any Wool apparel from New Zealand,...... thats just wrong. :laughing:

·
Registered
940 Posts
I pretty much buy American too, however companies like Avery have moved their production to China, Browning is in Japan, & so on. It's hard to find real American products anymore, as alot of the manufacturing occurs overseas.

It's that ol' rule of bidness.... make it for as cheap as you can & then sell it for as much as you can.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I would much rather buy american, but it is nearly impossible all the time. Manufacturing is on the move from america to places like china.
I work for a company that manufactures comsumer product packaging materials. (mostly boxes) Many of our competitors have gone under in recent years because they just can't compete with the cheap labor over seas, or in Mexico. We have managed to stay floating by filling a "high quality" niche, but who knows for how long. The company I work for has been an american owned family bussiness since the '20s I am the fourth generation of my family to work there. There are several other families there with simular stories.

fyi there are two U.S.A. Browning facilities that I know of one is 20 minutes from my house in Morgan Utah the other that I know of is in Arnold MO. I am not sure of the fate of their Japanese plants but I do know they have moved much of their gun machining/Manufacturing back to Belgem. My two newest brownings say made in Belgem on the barrel. I know much if not all of their archery stuff is still domestic. I got to shoot at their skeet range a few weeks ago. They are huge supporters of Ducks Unlimited.

Bret

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As much as I hate to say it, "USA Made" rarely plays into a decision of buying something for me anymore. I have basically gone to a "Best Product" for the money concept. We have even got to where we rarely can compete with the quality of imports, generally speaking. This is not saying that every product out there is better than USA.

It use to be, 15+ years ago that you may haft to pay a little more, but got a higher quality items for your money. But that is a thing of the past.

I drive a Nissan Sentra and have for the last 4-5 cars. I get 225-250 thousand miles before I need to trade them in. I had one, that I had to replace the alternator on. The rest, just change the tires, oil, and a tune up every 100,000 and they were still running good when I traded them in. with 35-40 miles to the gallon. I have friends that have comparable American car, and are usually don't get close to the mileage, and are always good for a Water Pump, Fuel Pump & some kind of engine work.

I shoot a SBE and the top guns without paying an arm and leg are ALL Foreign Manufactures. Beretta, Benelli, Browning or the best guns available for the money, it just is a preference from there.

America cannot run with the Japanese or Germans in most of the world wide markets, and I hate that. I am an American, Red, White and Blue. But when I put my money up, I think it is my job to my family to make each dollar go as far as it will go, and get the most bang for the buck. This allows my family to have the most that I can offer. And as bad as I hate to say it, with the exception of Farming we are not close to being at the top of countries to buy products from unless you are a terrorist (weapons). So we are the leaders in the Farming Industries and who gets hit harder, and mistreated more than anyone else in the country. Yep, the farmers.

I mean, they are TAXING the hell out of Japan, and Germany on cars. Just to keep the US cars in the race. So at best in many instances we (Government) stacks the deck just to compete in our own country. This gets them all the same price, so US has a chance at sales. If not we could be buying foreign cars for $2,000 less than a comparable US car, putting our car industry in the $h!++er also. US Trucks are the only market we compete in, and that is because the foreign builders aren't in that market, but starting to get there. Putting our biggest export being rare materials Steel, etc. etc. etc....

Then to make matter worse, many foreign countries are coming here to build the foreign products. So their buying up the Building, Shops, Skyscrapers, properties, and anything else that can be bought. In another 20 years, we may not even own our country. I can't remember the last time I went into a 7-11, Corner Store, One-Stop, Gas Station, or a Small Strip Mall Store that was owned by an American Family. I live almost 100 miles away from Dallas, Texas, and it is like that out here.

But with gas being $2.25 a gallon and going higher with the threat of more gas tax, and the difference in $1000-$2000 in maintenance over the lifetime of a car, turns into some real money over a stretch of time. So, I have gone to the "Get All You Can For What $$$$ I Have" concept. I hate it, but I can't afford not too. cooter

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Best Product For My Money was my vote.

While I would like to support america and american workers and family businesses etc. etc. The mentality of "buy american" doesn't really stand up anymore when talking about the american worker.

"american" companies have shifted production failities to Canada, Mexico, or even further to china or india. go look at the Vin number on your "american" car/truck/suv..if it starts with 2 it's canadian built, a 3 it's mexican built. only the rare and elusive 1 designates an american built car. when buying these types of products you are only supporting the american based corporate name. oh yeah..even if you do have an american made car/truck, a good percentage of the parts in it were made by various out-of-the-US suppliers.

on the other hand..you have many so called "foreign" companies that have production facilities here in the US that employ many us workers. buying these "foreign" products is actually helping support american workers and their families. one example is the NUUMI plant in Fremont, CA that (last time i checked) manufatures Toyota Corollas and Tacoma pickups. shut that place down and lots of american families will find themselves out of good paying jobs.

so..buy "american"??? what does that really mean anymore?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I gotta go with the best product! Especially with hunting stuff and tools. I can't afford to have lower quality tools. That is not to say that American made are lower quality. But I don't look at who built what when it comes to quality. now if two products are same quality and similar priceing. Then i will look for the Made in USA sticker.

One thing. ON the 4th my brother in law had a bunch of those little plastic American flags all over the place. A friend and i noticed that they were made in China. :hammering:

·
Registered
598 Posts
I always to support american made products, but I do prefer quality or looks of something before where it is made. I'm a big fan of Avery products and I don't care where they are made, I'm still gonna buy them. I do drive a chevy though so there's somethin american for ya. :yes:

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I try to suport the north Americain economy by purchasing products produced here in Canada and the US but an awful lot of this stuff that has NA companies names on it is produced / manufactured out side of continental North America and only packaged here.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I voted "always american", even though there should be a 3rd option (buy American when I can).

I like to support companies that make thier products in the US, even if they are just based out of the US, I still will take that over some completely foreighn company.

I am not sooo fixed on US goods that I dont consider other products that are alot cheeper, but I tend to throw my "big" money toward American products

'Nuff my Preahin Brodah!

(Ace will love that :mrgreen: )
-Stouff

·
Registered
14,573 Posts
First of all, let's keep putting a capital A on America and American.

Second, the "built in America" line is very fuzzy. I drive a Nissan that was built in America. The big three automakers import many parts from overseas. It is almost impossible to determine where something was really built. Even Walmart has given up on trying to keep track of this.

If all the parts were imported, but assembled here, is that good enough?
If the American product is inferior, do you support mediocrity and buy it anyway?
Do you buy Union made when the Union leadership pours money into the pockets of a political party that is dividing our country and will not support our war on terror?

These things all come into play, so the choice is not easy.

We are in a world economy which is great because it gives up more choices and better products. I generally buy the best product, with two exceptions.

The two exceptions are- Product of China and Product of France. Sometimes there is no other choice with the China thing, but I do my best to boycott both of these countries.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Do you class Michelin Tyres as a product of France or an American porduct? It is a French owned company but makes tyres in the US and Canada. What about the decoys that you buy most are made in China for the American owned companies. So it becomes very hard to buy only things made in our own countries and not suport foreign Companies or economies. Like you said it is a world economy. :salude:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.