Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much as i can appreciate the hard work and effort that goes into a rehearsed calling routine...the countless hours that must be spent getting that exact note..or series of notes to sound just right...the repetitions, the tuning, the money (for those unlucky and unsponsored folks) for high end calls, and the pure effort it takes to get up there and blow like hell to make the cut. it just doesn't wind my watch.

i have to admit that sitting though 3 rounds of guys blowing the same canned routine over and over again is almost as tedious to listen to as getting dragged off to a lengthy school band program. (let's give those 4th graders a big round of applause for that wonderful rendition of the 'Star Spangled Banner'......and NOW, Mrs. Crabpots 5th graders will perform 'The Star Spangled Banner' follwed by Mr Itchycrotch's 6th graders performing the 'Star Spangled Banner'...etc.etc.)

thank god the beer tent is so close to the calling stage. :toofunny:

anyway, the purpose here is not to slag the guys who put forth a tremendous ammount of time and effort into their stage calling. :salude: to you for your tireless dedication and commitment to your sport. no, this thread is about a contest format i would really like to see. maybe they could make the "meat" division something like this.

first off, none of this standing around on stage in your shorts and T-shirts. uh-uh. you will call in full duck gear while laying on your back in mud as a large fan blows (simulated) icy rain across the back of your neck at 20mph.

you know all that arm flapping and hand movement and even the occasional stroll around the stage you see in contest calling? not here. there will be a judge whose sole purpose is to watch the caller for excessive movement that may "flare" ducks. for each 'violation' 1 point will be deducted from the scoring.

toss out that scripted routine. ducks do not approach your dekes in a scripted manner each time..nor do they always respond to calling the same way each time. the routine you blow will be given to you via teleprompter much like a Karaoke machine does. scoring will be based on how well you perform the assigned calls and how well you seemlessly move from one to the next. the routine will be different for each contestant.

a ringing highball will NOT be part of the routine.

ther are some other variables that would be interesting to see worked into the format too...such as having to start your routine with a half chewed up bit of sandwich in your mouth...or just as you start to sip from your hot thermos of coffe..etc.etc.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I understand I was not born thinking it was interesting either. It does push the levels of calling and the quality of the calls for sure. Everyone should be able to apreciate that.

To find contest calling interesting is like to find the game of golf interesting (or any other game for that matter.) you must first understand the game. Contest calling takes a tremendous amount study just to understand what scores high on most judges cards. To understand that is to enjoy the show. Even then a long contest like the worlds with 60 plus callers will test anyones patients. The only callers that are allowed to move about the stage as you have spoken of are goose and meat duck.
Ark. style duck is stationary and you are not allowed to move the call out of the 45 deg angle on the front of the stage. I love ark duck for the discipline it takes. I hope it stays real close to how it is now for many many years.

Meat calling is fun, but I don't take it very serriously. I think two man is great but single man meat is real boring to my ear, and to perform. there is just only so many low end duck sounds one calller can make. As for laying on our backs... I don't think it would make much difference on the outcome of the contest. We all do it all season for fun. It would not bother me a bit but if you are turning on a fan big enough you had better allow( not make manditory) us to ring the call to imitate a real hunting situation. Over stimulation can be a key to calling in the strong wind.

Now everyone argue with me. :mrgreen:

Bret

·
Registered
360 Posts
Swamp Puppy
Awesome ideas! ya it is very repititious and its the same routine for every caller.... ringing high ball for 30 times... then some chuckle then some quacks and comeback calls.
A more realistic duck calling competition would be some good fun!
I love the the eating a sandwitch part or sipping on the coffee cause it takes me right back to when it happens to all of us LOL good times.
Thanks for the good laugh today!
Robberwood :salude:

·
Registered
612 Posts
I can only build on Bret's post as he's touched on a good portion of what comp, be it either Ark or Meat, represents.
First off. SP: I highly respect your opnion on both types of comp. As stated by Bret, attending a formal comp (Ark style) can be a painful experience if one attends not understanding what is going on.
On the Meat front. (I'm assuming your opinion is from last year during the invasion of your fair city.) What you saw is what it's evolved to at present. The concept, though not new, has been changing as time goes on. I agree with Bret on the position, clothing, etc not mattering, but, your opinion on format is novel. You may see something along those lines some day, who knows. There's a few other ideas floatin around too. Maybe...
On Ark comp. I see it as just another level. No different than someone bass fishing for the fun of it vs on a tourny level. Also, in addition to the competiitive comparison it seems, IMO, to be an art form. To those educated in that form it means a lot. To someone who's not able to enterpret what they are listening to, it's no different than a bunch of lines and colors. That doesn't mean that everyone who understands it likes it. LOL! I know some wives that can break down a routine and how it'll score based on experience (day in and out) of listening to the hubby. It's for sure not for everyone. (SP: I'd be glad to give you a running analogy this year if your interested, just to see.) I'll be available during your State and out in the audience after the first round of the open.
Another issue... SP: The only pro callers that get a free ride that I know of
are those that rep the calls directly for a living. Most pay out of pocket for all expenses, except maybe proto calls, reeds and corks. IMO that 90% of guys that show for a comp came out of pocket. Cept when one gets thier ticket punched to the bus that is.

Rel Atwood

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Swamp Puppy said:
the purpose here is not to slag the guys who put forth a tremendous ammount of time and effort into their stage calling. :salude: to you for your tireless dedication and commitment to your sport.
Apparently Robberwood was the only one that got the "meat" (pun intended) of my post. :thumbsup:

anyway, another thought could be to start the contest with a timed entry into the blind and to get set up to call. running from out behind a tree while pulling up your waders and trying to hide a white roll of toilet paper in say...5 seconds or you're automatically DQ'ed. :laughing:

Rel - i don't remember anyone being disrespectful or acting out of sorts last year at the festival. or the year prior. did i miss something?

·
Registered
612 Posts
SP. Naw. Ya missed nothing. It just can seem an invasion when a whole bunch of folks are speaking a diiferent (calling / ducks) language than what's normally spoken. Especially when it sounds loud and obnoxious LOL!

Oh I got where you were comin from....This told by Jimbo Ronquist of RNT. A few years back during a Meat contest in Arkansas the final 5 guys had to sort out top dog and remaining pecking order by getting timed on who could get on thier waders the fastest, haul out and put in the boat, load it, get all the way across the pond and set up, the fastest. I think your additions woulda put a better still spin to it all. IMO woulda been a real interesting event. LOL!

I was gonna re-post anyway on my opinion bout Hails. There is more than a few days each season that having the ability to scream at em, even all the way to feet down, has been a hunt maker for self. Windy days, those days atmospheric conditions make it sound at 100 yds like it's 2 miles instead, etc, etc. Then there's those days that they won't even bobble at a host of birds already in a closed zone calling, they just keep on keepin on. In my book it's gonna be whatever it takes on any particular day.

All this IMO except the part from Jimbo.

Rel Atwood

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I have to be honest I was not sure if you were serious or not. Over the years I have heard all kinds of twists on comps some good some bad. Like Rel said it does make it interesting. It is looking more and more like I will be making the journey to the great north west. I look foreward to meeting you both. If you wont make me lay on my back in the mud and blow a hail. :salude:

rel what are you blowin'. F.L.?

Bret

·
Registered
612 Posts
Bret said:
I don't beleive that for a minute Rel. I heard you were getting better and better all the time. I look foreward to hearing your rutine if you wont make fun of mine.

Bret
Whoever told ya that was obviously impaired when they heard me. LOL! Lets just say I'll prolly be giving you guys somethin to laugh about on the road goin home.

Dude! If you're blowin only 2nd chair behind Brent in your State, ain't no one gonna be makin hoo ha at you Brutha! :thumbsup:

SP: Bring on the rules, heck we might as well start our own contest. Ya might even get me to lay down in the mud to call. :salude:

Rel Atwood

·
Registered
612 Posts
Swamp Puppy said:
Rel - I'll bring it up at the next meeting. :thumbsup:
Jeez, just don't mention my name, LOL, Eric would hang and skin me in addition to kicking tail on the stage! Tell him Rel and Sean said hey when ya see him. Truthfully, I think Eric might have been there when Jimbo was talkin about thier variation, he might remember.

Rel Atwood

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.