Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
It could be freezing...if it aint that cold, could just be spittin to much. You may need a new reed, or, just a good cleaning. Y'all have a nice day! :smile:

·
Registered
598 Posts
I don't know that I've ever had a call that didn't stick. If you blow your call enough and it is cold enough, it will get enough moisture under the reed to stick. I don't think there is a such thing as a call that won't stick. If there is, I sure don't have one. What I do when it starts to stick is, pull out the insert and then pull the reed back and blow under it. This will get rid of most of the moisture and any debris that may have gotten under the reed. Or I take a napkin or part of jacket and wipe the moisture out from under the reed. It works for me.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I am a spitter too. I stick almost all of them eventually. I do have a giden call that I can blow half a sandwich through and it will still quack. One other thing you may try is a little rain-ex it helps short term. like the guy with the paper towel I sometimes have to dry them out. one day I may just get over the spit problem, I have heard lifting the tongue on the inhale can help.

Bret

·
Registered
658 Posts
Lax,

Just like Bret said I've tried Rain-x and it does work short term. You can also use car wax to wax both sides of the reed and/or reeds before each trip. Just wipe it on, let it dry, and wipe it off the night before.

As far as calls that don't stick....The only calls I have ever found that stand up to their claim of not sticking are Cuttdown calls. You can submerge it in water and put straight to your mouth and it'll quack. Or at least in 30 degree plus weather. I hunt in South Texas and haven't had the joy of hunting in super cold weather. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Every call will stick eventually if there is enough moisture in it. They should indicate this on the labels:
"Won't stick until moisture builds up." It's just another line to convince you to choose that call over another. To all you people that's on a limited budget do not buy a Phil the "duckpoacher" Robertson call. Go out and get yourself a Buck Gardner. And for the cutdown commander (or any duckpoacher call) not sticking, drop it in the water, pick it up and keeps on quackin, all I have to say is if you believe this, then believe me when I say leather comes from treebark. "I have 100.00+ calls to the cheap less than 20.00 ones, they all stick when enough MOISTURE builds up inside. It doesn't have to be COLD for it to stick. Just take it apart and dry it off, it's not that difficult to do. Reeds sticking is like the war on drugs...it will never end. Save your change and purchase a call (Buck Gardner) that's worth your money.

"Never wash your clothes during hunting season. When
you put them back on each day, it's like crawling
into your mother's arms." "Phil Robertson" :laughing: hahahahahah! What a hillbilly!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Mr Teal_Tormentor

Go try a Cuttdown Call. Yes you're right...eventually every call will stick..eventually. But, put any of you Buck Gardner calls next to Cuttdown and drop it in the water and see which one blows. You just might tell Buck Gardner to go blow at that point.

·
Registered
196 Posts
All calls stick. If you blow 98 degree air into a cold thats colder you get condensation. While some call may advertise they they won't stick...bring it up here to MN and hunt in the cold....its going to stick...I carry 3 calls and bring paper towels with....I can then take the insert out slidw the paper towel under the reed and I'm back in business

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Hendu speaks the truth I have two cuttdown acrylics that I don't even use or particularly like they do not fit my style. I just dunked one in ice water and it did quack right away no sticking. The call was at room temp though. if you would like I could freeze the call then try it we will see what happens. It was an White series 1 I tested.

Oh by the way the Giden call I have blows wet too the reed hardly touches the toneboard when at rest so when condensation does build up, (and it certainly does) it has little effect on the sound.I have yet to stick the call because of condensation. I have only used the call one and a half seasons. It did freeze once in 12-15 degree weather. What can you do about that. I don;t know.

Bret

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've got a southern game calls nasty boy and I havn't had it stick yet, I put in the sink and then blew on it and it still quacked, I don't like the tone of it as much as some of my other calls but it always works, so when the rest stick I use that one, what about that zinc paralyzer how good does that sound and how bad does it stick?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I actually like a little sticking at low volumes. It is a great transition into making a call squeal like a hen mallard full of rice or acorns. When I hear it start to stick, I just tighten the gut and back off. All the good calls I have used stick. Turn it around and blow the spit off then make a soft quack to warm it off. Keep the call in a warm pocket as much as possible. It keeps it from sticking and it keeps you from calling too much when the call is not hanging right in front of you. Most calls, single reeds anyway, will stick. Learn to use it to your advantage.

·
Registered
97 Posts
"Never wash your clothes during hunting season. When
you put them back on each day, it's like crawling
into your mother's arms." "Phil Robertson" hahahahahah! What a hillbilly!
He maybe a Hillbilly, which he would probably take as a complament, but I bet he kills more ducks than me and you put together. :tounge: I'd hunt with that hillbilly anyday. :smile: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Bret said:
Hendu speaks the truth I have two cuttdown acrylics that I don't even use or particularly like they do not fit my style. I just dunked one in ice water and it did quack right away no sticking. The call was at room temp though. if you would like I could freeze the call then try it we will see what happens. It was an White series 1 I tested.

Oh by the way the Giden call I have blows wet too the reed hardly touches the toneboard when at rest so when condensation does build up, (and it certainly does) it has little effect on the sound.I have yet to stick the call because of condensation. I have only used the call one and a half seasons. It did freeze once in 12-15 degree weather. What can you do about that. I don;t know.

Bret
most calls say they will blow wet. I have never seen a call that says it will blow frozen so all calls will stick!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.