Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
IMO no i like black better camo wears away faster and a black gun will look better for years to come after the camo wears away. ihave had cam guns and now ive got a black gun and im very very pleased with how the black holds up on my new x2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,333 Posts
I say black for a few reasons. First the finish doesn't peel like some camo guns do. Secondly the debate over which camo pattern comes into play (if it really matters) and I have some friends that tore themselves up trying to decide. Lastly black is generally cheaper than camo...you can buy the black gun and take the difference to pay a little more for some premium ammo, a new call or some dekes.

One must ask themselves if a camo finished gun is really necessary in the scheme of things. After all there have been more birds taken with bright blued and wood stocked shotguns than all of the black and camo guns put together. Obviously black guns generally have plastic or composite stocks which are more durable and wear resistant than wood, making them an obvious choice for waterfowl hunters.

Plus most hunters have their guns down or hidden (for safety reasons) in a blind, pit or boat until bringing them to bear, so a sparkling bright or camo finish is the last thing on a bird's mind...it's the wad of pellets headed towards him that is of concern.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
I own both, bought a new Nova in max 4 and really like it,but the finish will chip as I found out when My Dads semi auto threw shells and a couple bounced off my barrel, I was sick because I normally take very good care of my firearms. They are less maintenence than blued guns but not as durable as far as I can tell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
i dont think it matters at all. i would actualy get black because its cheaper but not a blued gun i would get the matte version if they have it. i have a sx3 in a camo patern. i think the gun is to bright that way. it almost glows in the morning
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
i get black i had a bad experience with a camo gun in several years ago, and i don't think its worth the extra money it costs. the real draw over wood is the durability and if you have to worry about ruining the camo that kinda negates it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,720 Posts
Camo. Less maintenance. Haven't had a bit of trouble out of the camo on my SBEII and I don't have to worry about rust. If you leave a camo gun in a damp environment overnight, not that big of a deal. If you leave a black one in a damp environment overnight, expect a thin layer of rust. :thumbsup:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,203 Posts
duckbuster06 said:
Camo. Less maintenance. Haven't had a bit of trouble out of the camo on my SBEII and I don't have to worry about rust. If you leave a camo gun in a damp environment overnight, not that big of a deal. If you leave a black one in a damp environment overnight, expect a thin layer of rust. :thumbsup:
:huh: Maybe on a poorly blued gun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
559 Posts
I've had both. If you are buying a strictly waterfowl rig, then camo isn't bad, I guess, but you look like a 'tard showing up at a range or an upland shoot with it.

Matte black, if maintained, will remain matte black. Camo, if maintained, will fade, and will scratch, chip, or flake, depending on the manufacturer. I honestly have never noticed any difference in the behaviour of the birds between the two, so I vote black.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,720 Posts
smackaduck said:
duckbuster06 said:
Camo. Less maintenance. Haven't had a bit of trouble out of the camo on my SBEII and I don't have to worry about rust. If you leave a camo gun in a damp environment overnight, not that big of a deal. If you leave a black one in a damp environment overnight, expect a thin layer of rust. :thumbsup:
:huh: Maybe on a poorly blued gun.
Wanna leave your black gun in a sleeve overnight and test it? :smile: Its happened on a Benelli M2 I've had and my buddy's SX2. :hammer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,917 Posts
Camo is more durable and black is cheaper. And if your worried about what you look like at the range... well you got bigger problems than a camo gun. When you guys say your camo is chipping is it little tiny chips around the barrel or is it big nasty peeling cracking problems?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
I have a nova in both camo and black (won the camo one at a banquet) both seem very good so far. I did notice with rem-oil it turned my black gun a little white in spots where it got on the stock or fore-arm. But both guns get used and abused and have not seen any problems with either.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,203 Posts
duckbuster06 said:
smackaduck said:
duckbuster06 said:
Camo. Less maintenance. Haven't had a bit of trouble out of the camo on my SBEII and I don't have to worry about rust. If you leave a camo gun in a damp environment overnight, not that big of a deal. If you leave a black one in a damp environment overnight, expect a thin layer of rust. :thumbsup:
:huh: Maybe on a poorly blued gun.
Wanna leave your black gun in a sleeve overnight and test it? :smile: Its happened on a Benelli M2 I've had and my buddy's SX2. :hammer:
Thats a different story it is not wise to leave any gun in a wet gun case overnight. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
smackaduck said:
duckbuster06 said:
smackaduck said:
duckbuster06 said:
Camo. Less maintenance. Haven't had a bit of trouble out of the camo on my SBEII and I don't have to worry about rust. If you leave a camo gun in a damp environment overnight, not that big of a deal. If you leave a black one in a damp environment overnight, expect a thin layer of rust. :thumbsup:
:huh: Maybe on a poorly blued gun.
Wanna leave your black gun in a sleeve overnight and test it? :smile: Its happened on a Benelli M2 I've had and my buddy's SX2. :hammer:
Thats a different story it is not wise to leave any gun in a wet gun case overnight. :thumbsup:
Agreed.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,203 Posts
It depends, I have seen camo guns do the same thing. It just depends on the quality of the job. I have a polished blued gun that was redone and it will not. I also have a gun that was dipped black as your camo one is and it will not show either. The ones that do are the ones with bad bluing or factory finish. :thumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top