Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
I wear top and bottom camo for waterfowl and coyote calling, but it isn't nearly important as staying completely still and keeping anything from shining.
Archery big game - drab pants and a camo top. Any rifle hunting - natural colors with some hunter orange handy, if not required.

·
Registered
25,344 Posts
Most of the time I'm hunting, I just wear normal jeans and camo jacket and hat. In all honest, everything beyond the hat is probably unnecessary most times for me. Nothing should be out of the blind but your head and at that as little as necessary. I have a face mask that I wear all but when it is really warm. That's far more important for keeping the birds from seeing my shining face than what I'm wearing from the neck down.

Same thing when hunting in my ground blind for deer. Neither ducks nor deer can see through walls. So I worry about comfort because the blind provides the concealment for all but what's sticking out the top, which should not be much.

If I'm hunting where I wont be well concealed in a blind. Then I'll pay more attention, but for me that is pretty rare. Even then, your face is probably what will get you in trouble.

·
Registered
14,063 Posts
One of yesterday's hunters was new to the sport and worried about not having camo. Told him not to worry and just hold still when birds could see him, 'cause nothing gray had ever shot at them:
I always knew camo boots were the key. 👍

Though not on a real spring snow goose hunt, we were headed to the club to do some work and noticed some geese circling a field. The two goomers aka hunting partners brought along one old pump shotgun "just in case."

And while I was loading the trailer, these two fine humans, one dressed in Iowa Hawkeye yellow and the other in Kansas State Purple hoodies, quickly made their way up a fence row with little cover. The geese did not like it and flew off a little bit, and then came right back to them. A couple shots rang out, and they dropped one.

They stood out so well that a satellite could have picked them up, but the geese did not seem to care about those bright colors once they stopped moving.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I have a closet stuffed full of camo clothing. I like camo , wear it hunting and often wear a little camouflage for everyday use. Camo shirt, t shirt, jacket etc. People mostly wear camo because it’s a “cool” look and has become fashionable. It’s great marketing on the part of the industry that makes camo so popular. My dad hunting waterfowl back in the 40’s and 50’ never owned any camo. He hunted in either olive drab or brown jacket and pants and did quite well. In waterfowl hunting I think camo gives you an edge but not much.

·
Registered
20,693 Posts
They stood out so well that a satellite could have picked them up, but the geese did not seem to care about those bright colors once they stopped moving.
Made me smile thinking of all the blues, snows and specks I've shot by not stopping walking when I saw their paths might intersect mine. Figure they thought me a harmless farmer, as long as I held course and pace. Was far from foolproof, but worked better than stopping or ducking for cover if they weren't spotted a long way off.

·
Registered
14,063 Posts
Made me smile thinking of all the blues, snows and specks I've shot by not stopping walking when I saw their paths might intersect mine. Figure they thought me a harmless farmer, as long as I held course and pace. Was far from foolproof, but worked better than stopping or ducking for cover if they weren't spotted a long way off.
That and they have the benefit of thousands of eyes, always on the lookout for some "Richard" trying to take them down.

"Harmless farmer" Now that is camouflage. Bwahahahaha :LOL::LOL::LOL:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Most of the time I'm hunting, I just wear normal jeans and camo jacket and hat. In all honest, everything beyond the hat is probably unnecessary most times for me. Nothing should be out of the blind but your head and at that as little as necessary. I have a face mask that I wear all but when it is really warm. That's far more important for keeping the birds from seeing my shining face than what I'm wearing from the neck down.

Same thing when hunting in my ground blind for deer. Neither ducks nor deer can see through walls. So I worry about comfort because the blind provides the concealment for all but what's sticking out the top, which should not be much.

If I'm hunting where I wont be well concealed in a blind. Then I'll pay more attention, but for me that is pretty rare. Even then, your face is probably what will get you in trouble.
I guess I'm screwed.

I call that shirt's camo pattern Spinner's golf course green™. It's very effective as you can see on the park geese. Do you think I can market it?

View attachment 475620
Looks, like you might need that satchel to match up there tho….

·
Registered
11,067 Posts
As long as the solid colors match the environment you're hunting in, it will serve you well.
Camo will give you only about a 5% advantage over matched solid colors.
I've found you can buy much better coats, hats, waders, etc in camo patterns than you can find in solid colors.
Talking about premium insulation, breatheable fabrics, good hardware, desirable features, etc.
All that stuff seems to come only in camo clothing.

·
Registered
20,693 Posts
Our forefathers shot ducks and geese in derby hats and ties. Earth toned colors and being brushed in will work just as well as camo.
Psst...Our forefathers shot lightly pressured ducks over tons of corn. So while I agree that a good hide, non contrasting clothing - and holding still can get the job done, what Great-Gramps got away with has no bearing at today.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts