Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Theres an on going arguement between myself and some co workers about weather you need camo or not.I just started waterfowling last season and only got to go a couple of times,and I do get camo out.But i have not shot anything yet.I have noticed that the ducks will come in until I look up then they turn or flair out.I wear a viel and a large brim hat and usually stand next to a stump to try to blend in.I have camo chest waders and coat,and have a Benelli Nova camo 12g.Am I over kill.and when do you know when to look up?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
They see movement too. Don't look up.I follow them with my eyes. If you wear eyeglasses, they could be catching glare off of them. I wear more camo stuff then you do and I kill tons of ducks and geese each year.

·
Registered
70 Posts
late this teal season i changed the way i hunt.....in SW indiana the teal seem to move the most about 8 minutes before sunset.....i jam my canoe into the weeds and face the way the teal come from....i hide behind the weeds and pop up when they are 20 yards away...pull the trigger and bang they're gone......they flare when i pop up and almost stop in time....easy pickins......

birds are also really reallllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyy smart when it comes to those fake looking decoys.....it would be like trying to get you to come over to some manicans in thongs......you'd look at them and say yea right........around here you could set up decoys 70 yards apart in two groups and sit in between them.....just like a funnel....i might try that next year

good luck.....

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1906083,00.html
Here is a small history on camo. I saw on the history channel that the purpose of camo was to break up the solid outlines and shadows we are made up of. If a person has no camo, they are easily seen because of the pattern they make with their head, arms, legs, and so on. With camo, it will actually break up the shadow pattern of a human body making it appear as if he was a bush or a tree. You'll read that a bow hunter actually tie dyed his shirt and drew bark with a marker on it. This broke up his outline of his body. As far as having ducks see you when you look up, sometimes face paint is necessary. It is very good advice that was given about sun glasses and following with eyes. A guy on here knew an officer that would fly over the refuge with a plane. The officer told him three things stuck out to him: black decoys on the water, white faces, and white hands. I'd imagine ducks see faces like we would a mirror in the sunlight.

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
Thought it was Clyde until I noticed the date

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
He hunts next to a stump. Foamy Oak Log blind is all he needs.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts

This might hide your face as well if you don't want to look stupid painting your face. I hear nothing but good things about this product.

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
You don't need camo, but you do need some drab color. Your face looks like a white paper plate from above or across the marsh, so keep your face down and peek just under the brim of your hat to follow the ducks in flight. Better yet have some weeds or branches built up and peek through them. Even better get a camo face mask. Don't look up when birds are overhead, unless you have trees over you, and even then don't gawk. Watch where your dog is looking.

And you need to be still. Don't turn twist or pop up and down. You can only move when the birds are flying away form you, and then be careful. Don't grab (or move) your gun until the last moment when it's time to shoot. Stand and bring the gun to your shoulder all in one motion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts