Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who swears that you cannot overhunt a pond if ducks are migrating through the area. I strongly disagree with his theory. I have been told by life-long waterfowl hunters that if you hunt for a couple of days, you need to let it rest several days after. We hunted every morning over the Thanksgiving Holiday (Wed. - Sun.) and by Sunday, the ducks were gone. What are your thoughts?

· Registered
5 Posts
I agree with you. We hunt a pond before school most mornings and by the end of the first half they barely come in. We see some flying, but not like it was when we barely hunt it.

· Registered
4 Posts
I agree with both of you. I live between Ada and Holdenville and hunt private farmland where we are the only ones hunting. I've experienced "blow-offs" many a time. Thankfully I have access to many spots. It seems as though it is easier to blow them off of a sight if you hunt them in the afternoon. If anyone has a duck report for the south-central region, give me a ring.

· Registered
57 Posts
Up here we call it a burnt pond. And when we were in oklahoma the first morning was great we would have lots of ducks land off to the side and other stuff so when we'd shoot one sadly fifty were educated. But we managed to shoot 13 ducks that day, 6 of which were mine, out of 4 guys that's not bad, plus we had al purchased new guns before the trip which we had to shoot for the first time in oklahoma. But the first morning i shot my little 20. gauge one last time, but ran out of shells in an hour, went back got the viedo camera and got alot of misses on tape. :yes: Here in Mn though the problom is we have 10,000 lakes, and 20,000 opening mrning hunters, everyone shoots the roosts, plus hunters are on every piece of water they can find. :thumbsdown: Which means if the ducks have no resting place, they will start migrating until they find one. I wouldn't hunt in the afternoon on a roosting pond, then it scares ducks out of the area so other hunters won't have any shooting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.