Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a taxidermist shop today and saw the owner working on a goose which looked to me like a small canadian but was told it wasn't. It was marked the same but was small and had a short neck. He said they got off course and were not normally in Maryland. Can anyone tell me more about these birds :?:

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I'll check my books this evening on this issue and get back to you - could be a bird normally found on the Pacific Flyway or a Lesser. The short neck is where you lost me. I'll post tomorrow!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds like a Crackling Goose to me
You said it had the same markings as a Canada goose
Was it a little bigger than a Mallard 4 lbs?
If it was then it was a Crackler which is just a sub species of the Canada Goose

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It must have been a Cracklin Goose then as it was a little bit bigger than a mallard and looked like a minature Canadian with a short beak. Are thes a common bird in some regions?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It must have been a Cracklin Goose then as it was a little bit bigger than a mallard and looked like a minature Canadian with a short beak. Are thes a common bird in some regions?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think that they are mainly a Central and Pacific Flyway bird but I have seen and shot quite a few in Minnesota.

I like them better than the big ones because it does not take as long to clean them

·
Registered
4 Posts
It could be a Richardson Goose. They look just like a Canada Goose, but are much smaller. We get a fair number of them in Michigan, so I'm sure that one could have wandered over to Maryland.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Canada Goose is the correct name. "Canadian" implies that is where all Canada Geese come from.FYI

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yup it's definitely a Canadian alright!
It's a Cackler. There are tons over here in Washington! The limit is 4 geese per day over here and my kill ratio is about 3cacklers every goose hunt. The majority of geese over here (atleast in my area) are Taverners & Cacklers (not crackling for the books). The honk just like all other Canada's, but not a deep honking. It's a more high pitched like a kid goose. :lol: Hope my reply gives a little better idea.

Joseph

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh by the way...(also for the books) most of the time a Greenhead Mallard is usually bigger (after you pluck em that is). If you breast em' the cackler will definitely be bigger (more meat).

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Most likely not a Cackler being it is in MD. Cacklers are out west--Pacific Flyway as I recall. More likely a Hutchinson or Richardson.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maryland just requires a general hunting license, a Md migratory stamp, a federal migratory stamp, and hip card and you are ready to go. I will take a picture of this bird when the taxidermist gets it mounted>

·
Registered
6 Posts
phillipstd,

Your nuts & your little remarks about labs are about as bright as you.
Please don't reply to any of my msgs i post in the future.

Joseph

·
Registered
189 Posts
why does that make me nuts, haven't you seen enough labs that are crap, everybody breeding them like there goin outa style has ruined the breed, everybody I know has one, I've had some too, now I don't and I'm verry happey with the dogs I have, so why am I nuts?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts