Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that yall are tired of dog food threads but I am unhappy with my current food and I am trying to decide which food would be the best for my hunting dog! I've been told that Canidae is a good quality food and it is available where I am at so what do yall think? Good or Bad? Thanks!

·
Registered
523 Posts
We used it and loved it. Never had any issues and the coats always looked nice. If they made a higher protien/fat food, we would use it in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Started my PP on Pro Plan when I got her and I think she had issue with the corn....moved to PMI Exclusive Chix & Rice, which did her well but she really crapped alot. Then for nearly the same price as that we went to the Canidae ALS (Chicken) and it's been awesome. Great ingredients and my vet says my dog is in the best overall shape of any they've seen. By us when you buy 9 you get the 10th bag free...bonus.

·
Registered
318 Posts
i am using the canidae lamb and rice for all ages. both my dogs, 5mo and 8yr old respectively, eat it. no problems as of yet but i may consider switching to a higher fat/protein food during the more active portion of hunting season. after that i would still switch back.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have two labs ....now 19 months and 13 months.... ..both 6 months apart which caused some problems in the beginning when my older puppy moved into adolecents and my younger pup couldn't eat adult food .....we then switched to Canidae because all stages of life can eat it and since we've had no problems at all .....we are currently feeding them the Dry food that includes all of the proteins ( Chicken, Turkey, Lamb and Fish)...can't remember exactly which one it is ....but it comes in a greyish bag/light bag ...I think it is CANIDAE - All Life Stage Benefits ...anyways ....its been a great food

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bought a bag of canidae all life stages yesterday and fed it to Mossy yesterday afternoon. I mixed half and half with he's old food and he scarfed it up! (he usually just sits there and looks at it)Well this morning when I went to feed him, he was excited jumping up and down. So I put the food out for him and went back inside, and my wife made the comment, "I don't know why you even put food out for him in the morning bc when I get home it'll still be sitting there!" About a minute later I told her to look out the door and it was GONE! She looked at him and said, "you heard me say that and you just wanted to make me look stupid!" It was so funny bc he and she don't get along! BUt on a good note, he seems to love his new food so far!!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
that's great. make sure your new food doesn't end up getting rancid, which may likely have been the cause of your dog not wanting to eat. if he can't eat the bag in a month you'd be better off storing it in a sealed container.

--seth

·
Registered
89 Posts
I do just that (BIG Rubbermaid container). When I used to keep my food out by the garage, I had ants and some other critters trying to get at it so now I store it in the basement near our freezer in a bin. Force of habit....think it stays fresher, too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ive always used Diamond for all of my hunting dogs. Its Great Quality and only $17 for 50lbs. Cost is a big consideration when feeding 2 chessies and 2 goldens LOL They can go through a bag pretty quick

·
Registered
53 Posts
We were using Canidae without issue but switched to INNOVA. Other dog did really well on it. No real issues with either.
Heard nothing but good on either.
Good luck.

Showmetheducksmossyoak said:
I know that yall are tired of dog food threads but I am unhappy with my current food and I am trying to decide which food would be the best for my hunting dog! I've been told that Canidae is a good quality food and it is available where I am at so what do yall think? Good or Bad? Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.