Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,613 Posts
I like Flying better........shows the true size of the bird. never shot a canvasback before, so wouldn't know what the wings look like, but I get my birds in the flying position to show the colors in the wings. I would definently go with flying. Besides, have you ever seen a canvasback sit on land, other then for nesting, there either on the water or flying.

· Registered
1,419 Posts
Look around your house for the best spot ta help ya decide...I would probably go standing, as their wings are drab and small. You want to be able to see that sloped face...maybe wait for that bull mallard or fat rooster for a flying mount...Congrats . Y'all have a nice day
:salude:

· Registered
1,613 Posts
Why would you put a canvasback on a log, or other land object Canvasbacks are divers. They sleep, and eat on the water. They probably spend 90% of there life on water. The mount would look more natural being a flying mount, but thats just me.

· Registered
379 Posts
There's a guy that goes by the name of "Birdman" here in Colorado who does some amazing mounts. On some of them, he mounts them in the flying possition on a log pedastal, often times, with thier wings cupped. If I were you, that's the way I'd go. I think a canvasback would look great like that.

· Registered
205 Posts
note to Cast-in-Blast: That is a great looking mount you displayed with the drake mallard over the hen mallard. Reminds me of a last year hunt when I saw two mallards land too far for me to shoot at and commence to breed. They finally worked their way towards my blind, close enough to shoot, so I scared them up and shot the drake on the rise. The poor guy still had his pecker hanging out (ever see a duck pecker? --a first for me!). That is the only time I ever felt sorry for a duck I killed!!

· Registered
452 Posts
The poor guy still had his pecker hanging out
:eek:

that is a nice mount almost looks fake. beautiful drake!

had

· Registered
304 Posts
A have a few of each mounted, I'm particular to a few sepecies.....one pintail in sitting/primming pose and one in take-off, a woodie sitting as well as some teal........as for the canvasback, they have a beautiful profile, don't think you could go wrong with sitting, not allot of colors on the wings, but whatever you like is whats best.

· Registered
212 Posts
it all depends on what you like....flyings are great for showing off size but with standing mounts there is an even greater amount of things you can do with them...just use your imagination.

· Registered
5 Posts
Cast n Blast, where in colorado is the "birdman" located? I know of a great bird taxidermist in colorado. What is his shop's name? could be the same guy

· Registered
379 Posts
He's down in Trinidad. Todd Huffman's Birdman Studios

· Registered
3,886 Posts
Todd does wholesale taxidermy for hundreds of taxidermists who are too busy to do all their work. This remains a secret amongst taxidermists, but is very common to have another taxidermist doing your work, and the original taxidermist putting their name on it. On the other hand, Todd is a high quality taxidermist, and probably puts out a better bird mount than 75% of the taxidermists sending their work out in the first place. His prices are as competitive as the market will allow, and for his high quality, he could/should charge more! He mounted a Wood Duck and a Mandarin for a friend of mine, and both mounts are awesome! Wings cupped, Pete

· Registered
379 Posts
I'm sending out a bull sprig on monday. It should turn out real nice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.