Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've hooked up with a fellow doc who hunts ducks here on the Cape, and I've joined the local DU chapter (banquet at Old Jailhouse Tavern in Orleans on Oct. 30). Should have more info on oppotunities as the season starts/progresses. Also read about a guided sea duck hunting opportunity in Duxbury, but not sure I can afford that as yet. Can PM anyone that info if they're interested.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If your already on the cape, why travel to Duxbury?? You are in the best sea duck area around.Save your money for shells and try any of the capes outer beaches or harbors.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ray- yet to see any eiders that close to shore (I don't have a boat- only an inflatable kayak). The Duxbury junket is a guided affair with a professional sea duck hunter with boats and full array of eider decoys- pricy but productive. Maybe next year. This year I'll focus on mallards, blacks, woods, and whatever me and the other doc can call to our decoys.

·
Registered
11 Posts
duckdoc- I'm not knocking the guided hunt, but sea duck hunting in your area is the best around. I hunted yesterday,opening day out of sesuit harbor and we limmited out on surf scooters. We saw a few flights of ieders but most of the birds were surfs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ray- did you hunt from shore or by boat/kayak? I've got an inflatable sea kayak that may suffice if the waves aren't too rough and I could figure a way to camoflage it a bit...If you were out of the harbor more than a short distance I would have to punt until I could own/rent a more substantial watercraft. Safety first! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Duckdoc, we were out in a 14ft boat, your right safety first the wind always seems to be a factor on the cape. however if you get a nice day withoutwind go out a few hundred yards and set up.don't worrie about camaflouge the birds are plentiful that they have to pass by.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
biggest 'problem' will be to have a decent spread.....you can only carry so much in a kayak....second, what about your ability to track down a crip?....that would be very difficult and could lead to a bad situation without notice......third, you are greatly limited to a very small area (although access is probably much greater since you do not need a ramp)

I strongly advise against using a kayak as the primary mode of transport when hunting eiders or other seaducks

In fact, a 14 footer is questionable in my opinion! Another disaster waiting to happen and can occur without notice when focused on a task. And there is still a significant limiation of decoys. I know you've noted success, but I would not advise heading out when it is real duck hunting weather!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Doc saw your messages on the board. I am new to duck hunting in the area. I have an 18' duck boat, and a pretty good spread of dekes, looking for some company in December hunting the mid to outer cape. Have some goods spots, looking for a few more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Duckdoc
Red River beach in Harwich is a great spot and loaded with birds right around Thanksgiving depending on the weather. Don't know if you can still shoot off the jetty but you need a dog for the retrieve. There are a few charters that run out of Harwichport but they are pricey as well. Barnstable Harbor is another pretty decent spot as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JD- I have seen birds down at Red River (a short drive from my place)- mostly scoters and brant. Don't have a dog. Will probably stick with the Herring River marshes and my kayak (covered with camo netting) when solo. My fellow waterfowling physicians down here (one's an orthopedist, the other a neurosurgeon) usually share one of their V-bottoms for retrieves when we hunt the bays around Osterville.
Duckdoc

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
CrazyToHunt said:
10 years later but I'm a newby how did the cape cod duck hunting turn out?
Safe bet you won't get your answer. I've been on here 5 years and have never seen a post from these guys.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I just came back. Tons of birds in the Cape. Lots of Sea Ducks, lots of black ducks and lots of other diver ducks. The group I usually hunt with and 3 other groups/boats are driving up now to freelance hunt for a week.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts