2,917 Posts
smith &wesson J frame .357

·
Registered
481 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
for being able to carry all the time and being that you are in sunny florida, your gonna need to keep it pretty small. the kel tec .380 is gonna be my next carry gun. i do however really like the SW airweight in .38. you can get +p ammo and have a real man stopper. or, you can wait just a bit and look at the ruger .380 lcp thats coming out. supposed to be about the size of a kel tec with ruger reliability.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Don't buy the K-T until you check out the new Ruger .380 that's coming out in March....spoke to guys who have handled it and it is very similar to the K-T but quality is better and you have the Ruger reliability behind it....MSRP $330.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
All of the above shows the difference between states. In MD one has to show/prove a need to get a concealed carry permit. Need would include documented threats against your safety or carrying large sums of money. Then State Police do the background check and return it not "permitted" or "issued" but as "not denied".

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the many ideas. The reason I was not sure about the 1911 was that I tried to conceal a friends 9mm glock in my pocket, and on my ankle and it was either hanging out, or obvious. I will need the gun to hide well in work clothes, (button up long sleeve shirt, and slacks). The new ruger looks great and since it's coming out in march I will be forced to wait anyways to see it. thanks again.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Believe me, you can conceal a single stack 1911 much easier than a hi-cap Glock. Even a Gov't model is fairly easy to carry, but if you get into a bobtail of commander sized gun, it is even easier.

Look for a very good holster like a VM II by Milt Sparks or a CrossBreed supertuck, and you can carry a 1911 all day with no concern.

·
Registered
442 Posts
FYI.....Those ducks look like they are from South America.....Rosy-billed pochard......they are the equivalent of the mallard here.....and I don't think there are any limits down there.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am going to take the carry class on saturday at the local gun show, and I am going to make sure I get my hands on all of these besides the ruger. I am a small guy and glocks do not feel good in my hands, thats why i am not reallyconsidering one. Thanks for the help again.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?version=62
http://www.ruger.com/LCP/index.html
http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/co ... ocarry.php
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... y_rn=15711
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... y_rn=15704

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
When I hit 21 I'm picking up the XD in .45. My dad has one, and I like it alot. I have pretty small hands myself. If you want a good gun that will fire in any situation, I'd look into a Sig Sauer. The only problem is they don't have any safety at all. My dad carried it on the SWAT team at Oak Ridge National Lab, it got muddy and all sorts of messes and never misfired.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
I carry a kimber pro carry . 45 in the winter when I can get away with it. It has to go in a bagmaster underarm holster because its to long for a IWB holster. I can't sit down with it because it jabs me in the crotch. In the summer time I carry a taurus .38 hammerless. a lot less accurate but a lot easier to conceal in shorts and a tank top. I went with the taurus because of price. I own 3 smiths and disliked the taurus at first because of the trigger and cylinder line up. So I complained, sent it back to taurus, and 3 weeks later it came back smooth as silk. I own sigs, HK, walther, smiths, rugers and some others but they all pale in comparison to a kimber. There is no finer gun.

·
Registered
391 Posts
2 suggestions.

1) Springfield Champion .45
I got one a few years ago and I love it. I have large hands, so with the full size lower but short barrel works great for me. Lil cheaper than the Kimber but great quality.

2) Glock 27
If your looking for compact this is your ticket and the .40 will still put'm down for the count.

Lots of people carry at my work and the baby glocks are definitely the most popular here, where the dress code is shirt and tie.

Both great guns.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Glocks are good guns, I'm just not a big all plastic fan. If you want a plastic gun go to the walmart and buy one from the toy department. I've shot it and they're good, but I don't like a gun with a plastic trigger. My dad shoots a Glock 17 in .40 S&W in the police department, he has no complaints. The .40 is a good cartridge, especially when you get the Golden Sabre by Remmington. The only way you can usually get the sabres is if you're law enforcement though, so if you have someone in that line of work they could hook you up.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts