Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just wondering how you go about carrying your guns on an airliner for a hunting trip. Me and a couple of friends are wanting to go to south dakota this november for some pheasant hunting. Are there any extra fees you have to pay? Any advice? What procedures do you have to go through? I don't want my A-500 ending up in some other state!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Call your airline for details...but, I believe a gun in a hard case will be checked in as checked baggage. They will put a "Firearm" sticker on it, and your good to go. I havnt flown with my gun since 911...but ive seen em while going through airports. Try to take a non connecting flight to avoid lost luggage. Spent 3 days wearing the same drawls in Puerto Rico one time...if anyone ever invites ya....dont go! Better ask em about transporting ammo, or, plan on buying some when ya get there. Y'all have a nice day!

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Here is what I have found among hte major air carriers:

-NWA - will accept firearms in hard-sided cases (crushproof). and passenger must sign an "unloaded tag". No tag or label will denote that the contents of the luggage is a firearm. It should be locked, and the passenger should retain either the key or the ammunition.

-United Airlines - small arms ammunition cannot exceed 11 pounds (about 300 rounds of .38 caliber). Other requirements are roughly the same as NWA.

-All others seem to have the same requirements for the most part, though the amount of ammuniton a passenger can carry varies.

Don't use a shooting bag as a carry on as the screening machines may detect powder -not worth the hassle-, don't take any cleaning supplies, accessories in your carry on. Mostly common sense stuff.

Lastly, if you are going to fly with animals I have heard that NWA is supposed to be pretty good compared to the rest.

Enjoy your trip!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Those guys summed it up pretty good. I am pretty sure you have to call in advance and make arrangements with the airline. I don't think you can take ammo anymore. (I could be wrong). When I went to the Bahamas last month they went though my "checked bag" and swiped 2 lighters I had in there. So if they are all worried about a stupid lighter, I am guessing that a few boxes steel shot (or whatever) would not be allowed.
But what do I know? It is the government after all.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Was out in Boston in January duck hunting, and flew with American Airlines and Midwest. We were not allowed to have ammunition with the gun case and were only allowed to have unopened full cases of shells that had to be cased in a seperate wooden box. Too much of a hassle if you ask me. The gun case had to be in a hard case, unloaded, and locked after inspection as stated before. The Airlines will actually provide you with a case if you call ahead. The airline we went with will sell you a Doskisil plastic case for twice the price. I would suggest using a plastic case, because those fancy hard cases take some abuse. One of the guys that went with us ended up with a hole the size of a golf ball in his alluminum case. I was watching the people handling equipment, and watched several of them literally throwing our stuff and other peoples' stuff (like golf clubs etc.) right on the escalator. I made a comment to take care that they didn't slam our stuff around, and the attendant said show me your I.D. (as if she was going to intimidate me) I said get your supervisor over here, and she said I am the supervisor! I told her I was going to make a formal complaint, and she said (to my face F*** YOU!) I almost didn't make it on the plain if you know what I mean. I about choked the bitch! :pissed: I swear they hire the people straight out of detention. This was O'hare, and Logan was a totally different experience. The people there were more than courtious. We were identified as a potential problem coming back from Boston although, because we were searched as close as anyone could be searched without taking your clothes off! The other thing is you are generally allowed to have two pieces of luggage, and the gun case qualifies as one. So bring a large carry-on as well. The one plus thing is that you are usually brought right up front so there typically isn't a long waiting line. (seems as if those guns are some kind of threat) :laughing: Have fun, Pete

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
This sounds like typical stuff that you see with guns Pete. The people that take the time to check their guns at airports or wherever are somehow a threat. That makes a lot of sense.

Hood, where are you going in SD. I am planning on taking a trip up there this fall. I've heard some amazing stories, so I figured I would go see for myself.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
gsphunter said:
This sounds like typical stuff that you see with guns Pete. The people that take the time to check their guns at airports or wherever are somehow a threat. That makes a lot of sense.

Hood, where are you going in SD. I am planning on taking a trip up there this fall. I've heard some amazing stories, so I figured I would go see for myself.
maybe we can have a DHC get together? i will be up there this fall too.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
This is true 98. Once I took off my turban and robe, I really didn't have much of a problem! :yes: I do have to say, that when we walked into O'hare, I expected to be detained by armed guards, (or something of the sort) but we all thought the security (at least before you check in) was pretty lousy. If we were the bad guys, I think we cold have really shot up the place. We each had 2 guns, and there were 6 of us. We could have really done some damage if we had wanted to, because none of the security really paid attention to us for quite some time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate it guys, sounds like this could be aggravating but oh well. GSP hunter and Sharpshooter: We're gonna be headed to a place called Winner, SD. I found a site called Schuyler Ranch that has some great prices. I think it's $150/day for pheasants, 8,000 acre ranch. We're gonna get a combo hunt that's $200/day including pheasants, sharptail grouse and prairie chicken, all wild birds hunted over dogs, not kicked up out of the bushes like a lot of places you see! As far as lodging, I think we're gonna stay at the Holiday Inn. The guy said they also rent houses in the town. Really looking forward to it! I 've hunted in middle Georgia my whole life, time to see some new country. Wish I could have found a place just a little closer to the airport. The closest airport to Winner is Sioux Falls, 1 1/2 hr drive I hear. Pretty isolated, but the guide said they had a great strip club downtown! I think we're aiming at going the first weekend of November, The guide said the weather will be great and the birds as well. From what I've seen and heard, those grouse and prairie chickens will be quite challenging. If y'all want to see about hooking up for a hunt, let me know.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I'm probably going to head up and hunt public ground with my dog(s) (not sure if the younger one will be ready for the trip). Definitely can't afford the ranch deal, but I've heard awesome stuff about the public ground up there too.

ShrpShtr I don't have any dates picked yet, but I have actually heard that later season is even better than early (crops are out, less hunters, when it gets cold the birds will hold tighter), so I'm keeping that in mind.

I would definitely be open to meeting some guys up there.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Pete-pec said:
This is true 98. Once I took off my turban and robe, I really didn't have much of a problem!
Now that is funny, no matter what ya say! :toofunny:

Pete, as for the very rude customer service, I would have writen a letter to her manager and the President of the airline detailing what happened and thus lodged a formal complaint. Telling a customer to FO is totally unacceptable in my book. :eek:

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Flying into CA would be additional restrictions too I bet due to CAs tight FA laws.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.