Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
271 Posts
If done properly, the Force Fetch will not kill her drive. As a matter of fact, or I guess really opinion, it increases the drive of a dog.

But for the scenario you describe, it is more than just the force fetch. It is environmental and to a lesser extent obedience. Force fetching will help, but you want the dog to not care much about all the new smells, have her be 'used' to new stuff.

Just my opinion...

· Registered
271 Posts
Matt,

Sorry I didn't catch that in your original post. You clearly stated it, I just got hung up on that field. That, and I try to find reasons to tell people NOT to force fetch their dog, just so I'm not a broken record.

Some people would tell you that your dog doesn't have drive, but perhaps FOCUS or WORK ETHIC are better words. The stuff in the house is play versus retrieves. Perhaps even the work you do in your yard is more 'play' to HER? Did she remain focused during your time hunting? Maybe you could try NOT doing all of the 'fun' retrieves and save everything for the 'field'. Perhaps at that point she will be somewhat starved for some action and will give you more attention. Take a look at how she acts when you are working with her. There should be a clear line between work and play, and she should be able to distinguish between the two. If the line is too blurred between the two then you need to do whatever you can to clear things up for her. You said you have tried to make retrieving a game, maybe that is what it is to her. Now you are expecting more, but you need to demonstrate that to her.

That is the touchy feely approach. If you've always intended to force fetch your dog, I would go ahead with it. Season is over, so now is a good time. The force fetch will teach her that retrieving is not an option. It is a short cut to end results you desire. Just make sure it is done right. That and the e-collar will get your dog to the point where it will pay attention to you in a field with 50 other dogs. Neither make you mean or make it less fun for the dog. The dog will still have 'fun' on the retrieves, it just won't be a 'game' anymore. You'll be in control of when the 'games' are played.

Just my second opinion....

:mrgreen:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.