Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a string from 2016 on reloading Kent hulls which was the first information I have found on any cheddite hull reloading. However, there was no actual recipe shared on that string. Can anyone provide that information?

Also of interest, is identification of the Federal "Speed Shok" hull. Is this the same as the Fed IBW ,.090 that is in the recipes provided by Alliant for Steel powder? The confusion comes from reading strings declaring that the "speed Shok" hull is not the same and according to Federal cannot be reloaded. Federal has not responded to me so I don't know where that comes from.

I have cut both, kent and Fed, hulls and they are very similar. Could both be reloaded with same recipe, given that the Kent can receive the Fed 209 primer I have acquired.

Experts help needed.
Thanks to anyone with information.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
What Guage shell? And what length?
Federal has used a couple different hulls for their speed shok line that I know of, but they may have used others as well... so hard telling not knowing.
Post a pic of your fed hull.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
This might help with hull identification.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What Guage shell? And what length?
Federal has used a couple different hulls for their speed shok line that I know of, but they may have used others as well... so hard telling not knowing.
Post a pic of your fed hull.
Both the Federal and Kent I inquired of are 3" 12 gauge. I finally found and purchased Fed 209 primers completing the component requirement for a Federal Recipe I liked and now I am doubting whether the hull is the correct one.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
There are, as far as I know, three 12 ga 3" hulls used by federal for steel shot.

Paper basewad. Often called the Hi-Power hull in older manuals. I believe they stopped using these five or so years ago, but you may still run into old stock. There may also have been a version with a thinner paper basewad (there certainly was in 2.75" hulls).

.090" one piece. They used this for heavy loads of big shot, as well as for buckshot. These hulls are the best 3" 12 ga hulls in my opinion, though the crimps can suffer cracking.

Deep plastic basewad. This mimics the profile of the .090" hull, and I suspect is cheaper to make. It seems to have replaced the .090 hull. I don't KNOW, but I'd bet load data would be fairly similar between the two.

Federal MAY have used a flat plastic basewad akin to a rio/cheddite for a 3" load. But I've never seen or heard of it if they did. They certainly did in 2.85" loads at one point, so I wouldn't be shocked.

Check out the 3" sticky.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I wonder if those are the same as what Ballistic Products is selling and referring to as the Federal disc base hull...

• Color: Federal maroon
  • Independent Disc Base
  • Depth: 2.709"
  • Wall: .034"
  • Head Stamp: "12 GA * 12 GA"
  • Top Edge: unskived
  • Brass Height: .376" (10mm)
  • Length: 2.998"
  • Primer: Federal 209A (202)*
This type of Federal hull features an independent disk base wad. The interior capacity of these hulls is less than the original "Gold Medal" style 3" hull. The contrasting plastic base wad in this hull sets it apart from the Gold Medal style hulls.
Look for load data for "Federal Disc Base (DB)" hull. Do not use "Federal PB" data with this hull.
Unskived: Best crimping option is a roll crimp or you can skive these hulls with BPI's Power Hull Skiver.
In Curmudgeon's original data, he always made a distinction between "FB" (fiber base) and "PB" plastic base. However, Federal eventually got rid of the old fiber base wad design and replaced it with an updated plastic base wad. That newer 3-piece design is NOT the same as the IBW hull.
*Primer: Always confirm the primer in new Federal hulls. The 209A (202) is standard, but we have also received prior shipments of the 239 primer, which is a very hot primer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I find the 3" sticky data posted by Jim Atlas to be very informative and helpful. although it is more than 10 years old, I will keep as cross reference material as I learn and progress my knowledge.

I will attempt to create a "sticky" with newer hulls that I am in possession of and share as amendment to that data.

Based on analysis of information provided, researched , and discussions with Ballistic Products techs; I am willing, or maybe frustrated, to the point of reloading the aforementioned Federal hull with the Alliant recipe for IBW. If I don't blow something up, namely myself, I will share results.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alliant powder recipes for STEEL powder. There are 3 recipes for 1 /1/8 ounce and 4 for 1 1/4ounce. Both use 3-in. Fed 0.090 Integral BW hulls. I will start with lower chamber pressures and see how they perform. I like the third load for 1 1/8 ounce for velocity and the third load for 1 1/4 for same plus the chamber pressure is less than the fourth without giving up velocity.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Your hull is the new fed hull that is replacing the .090 hull. I don't know how it compairs in volume, but I suspect it's slightly smaller.
I'd load it with 35 grains of steel and a win209 primer for a 1.25 oz load.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts