Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had alot of buckling problems with new cheddite 3" hulls. I found the problem to be in the final crimp station. It was exerting too much pressure on the shell, and buckling it above the brass.

Brian

·
Registered
398 Posts
you have to crimp em all with the cam off,
the crimps will be flared out a bit at that point,
then turn the cam all the way on and run em all back thru by feel till you get a good taper on em,
you usually can't do both at the same time,unless you have
really strong hull walls.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I've reloaded a couple hundred new cheddites and never had a problem. Mostly used 1 1/4 and 1 1/16 RSI recipes, but after maybe the first one, I've never had any buckle. Buckling above the brass can occur with any hull when you're reloader's not set right.

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
I load new 2 3/4 and 3" primed Cheddites all the tme and like OSay have had no problem on my two Mec Jrs. Your final crimp has to be adjusted properly to prevent buckling. When I was in Broken Arrow last year I adjusted JP's 3" Mec Jr to load them also, he was having buckling problems. You have to know "them there" presses. Ned S

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
wigeon jim said:
Can i load chiddite hulls with fiocchi data? :huh: Jim.
Some people do this, I don't. They are mildly different hulls, and from my experience the fiocchis don't have quite as much internal space and aren't as fast with cheddite recipes. There are lots of good recipes out there that are designed for cheddite hulls. What are you wanting to load. I'll help you out with a good recipe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.