Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting a new pup this fall.
I live in Michigan, does anyone know of any good breeder's in the area or within a few hour's drive.
Also any good trainer's in the ares.

Thank's

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
phillipstd said:
one of the best ones, carrol anderson, she lives in illinois, I think I might buy a dog from her if she breads the right ones, she has a website, caroway kennels , www.caroway.com she has produced allot of the top hunting dogs in this breed and you can buy from her with confidence.
Hard to mess up w/ a chessie regardless. . .

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Your point about a few hours drive is the attitude that will limmit your options, I live in Oklahoma and flew my peake in from Maine, the pup was not freaked out by the plane trip and its only a couple hundred dollars to have one flown to you. You will be able to fly one in on a much shorter trip. look for the right litter not the right distance. Cursan kennels is in Wisconsin and has pups on the ground right now.

Here one in Michigan: www.rkkkennels.org

·
Registered
87 Posts
Please read up on Chessies before you purchase one. I have bred and hunted with Chessies for about 10 years now and they are a breed apart from Labs. They are very stubborn and hard to train. Once you get them trained they are hard to beat. They require ALOT of training and attention. They are very possesive and emotional dogs. I cant stress this enough.Most of the people that buy Chessies from me are dissappointed with them because they cant train them. I stress to them what is required to raise Chessies and they always say........I got it, but they dont.

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
superxgooseslayer said:
Please read up on Chessies before you purchase one. I have bred and hunted with Chessies for about 10 years now and they are a breed apart from Labs. They are very stubborn and hard to train. Once you get them trained they are hard to beat. They require ALOT of training and attention. They are very possesive and emotional dogs. I cant stress this enough.Most of the people that buy Chessies from me are dissappointed with them because they cant train them. I stress to them what is required to raise Chessies and they always say........I got it, but they dont.
Well, you do bring a very good point to the table - and it's true - if you don't know the breed or have a natural inclination to the mind-set of the breed - I wouldn't 'experiment" with your first pick of dog breed being a chessie. . . However, if you've done your homework and want an intelligent challenge and a warrior - you get what you get!!!! Be it Lab or be it Water Collie or better yet, a Jack Russel. . . I've been lucky, but then I'm a hard-headed strong willed, ALPHA kind of guy - perform or perrish. . . (that means - don't crap on my carpet in between hunting trips and, if you get my ducks - I'm happy) Chessies can be nasty to deal with unless you can get into their heads.

Tongue in cheek. . .

·
Registered
20,805 Posts
If I had a Chessie as tough to deal with as you guys seem to suggest, I'd sure not breed it. Well bred Chessies have been no more problematic than any of the other breeds I've owned.

Poorly bred Chesapeakes are another matter.

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Rick Hall said:
If I had a Chessie as tough to deal with as you guys seem to suggest, I'd sure not breed it. Well bred Chessies have been no more problematic than any of the other breeds I've owned.

BULLSheite. . . Lets talk pedigrees of the poor and the rich = if you are comparing - we will discuss it.

[Poorly bred Chesapeakes are another matter.]
so are poorly bred Americans. . .

. . .another matter.

·
Registered
485 Posts
superxgooseslayer said:
Sounds like you should find another line of Chesapeakes to go with. I don't think your breedings are helping the breed if you are having all these issues with your dogs. Your comments could not be farther from the truth with my dogs and most Chesapeakes in general.

·
Registered
20,805 Posts
MacMan said:
Rick Hall said:

BULLSheite. . . Lets talk pedigrees of the poor and the rich = if you are comparing - we will discuss it.

[Poorly bred Chesapeakes are another matter.]
so are poorly bred Americans. . .

. . .another matter.
Perhaps that seemed to make some sense after a toddy or three, but it's lost on me.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Perhaps that seemed to make some sense after a toddy or three, but it's lost on me.
:ditto:

Owners of these dogs seem to be a breed apart also…If they don't get the bull headed aggressive dog they get rid of it or think they wasted there money..The true owners and breeders that truly understand them and try to breed great dogs are a pleasure to learn from…I agree with what was said above if you never had one never worked one never trained one and think a Chessie is the only dog to break the ice hunt all day or swim in the sea or whatever get a lab…two of the kennels that were mentioned I have trained some great dogs out of … BUT You better have a qualified trainer near by to help you…When a owner brings a Chessie to me I look at the human more than the dog…They determine whether I take the dog or not….For obvious reasons…

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
rptrainer said:
:ditto:

Owners of these dogs seem to be a breed apart also…If they don't get the bull headed aggressive dog they get rid of it or think they wasted there money..The true owners and breeders that truly understand them and try to breed great dogs are a pleasure to learn from…I agree with what was said above if you never had one never worked one never trained one and think a Chessie is the only dog to break the ice hunt all day or swim in the sea or whatever get a lab…two of the kennels that were mentioned I have trained some great dogs out of … BUT You better have a qualified trainer near by to help you…When a owner brings a Chessie to me I look at the human more than the dog…They determine whether I take the dog or not….For obvious reasons…
Yep Rick, you hit it - big family football party GA vs. LSU over here in GA. . . BUT, my point was - show me these high dollar pedigrees of the chessie's that you've owned that were worthless. . . That's all!! You've certainly shared more than once of your disdain with many of the pups.

Regarding hardheaded and aggressive dogs. MAN ARE YOU WRONG HERE. . . Our two chessies now are so laid back that I often wonder what's happened to them - they are both a pleasure to be around and I certainly wouldn't get rid of them for this - I would in fact consider breeding one of them.. I wouldln't recommend having a chessie trained by someone that has never accomplished the task.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I tbink Ricks point is good breeding is based on outcomes not pedigree, if you have dogs that people cant train then they are not well bred, if you take two trainable Chesssies with good desire that have no great pedigree that is still a good breading, two chessies that are bred with great pedigrees, but sire and dam are difficult to train and so are the pups then that is a bad breeding regardless of how many AFC and MH designations are on the papers. I just bought a Chess pup that you could say has a good pedigree, but I was more concened that I was able to be reaonably assured that the sire was not agressive towards other dogs and people, and was not difficult to train, I also talked to owners of littermates of the sire and heard the same things.

·
Registered
20,805 Posts
MacMan said:
[Yep Rick, you hit it - big family football party GA vs. LSU over here in GA. . . BUT, my point was - show me these high dollar pedigrees of the chessie's that you've owned that were worthless. . . That's all!!
I've never owned a "stubborn" or "hard to train" Chesapeake, much less a "worthless" one - or claimed to. So you're still not making sense.

You've certainly shared more than once of your disdain with many of the pups.
My disdain is for the get of dogs that shouldn't have been bred - "stubborn" or "hard to train" dogs, being handy examples. I've made a point of purchasing biddable stock and strongly recommend others do, too.

Buck's take is accurate:

buckmeister said:
I tbink Ricks point is good breeding is based on outcomes not pedigree, if you have dogs that people cant train then they are not well bred, if you take two trainable Chesssies with good desire that have no great pedigree that is still a good breading, two chessies that are bred with great pedigrees, but sire and dam are difficult to train and so are the pups then that is a bad breeding regardless of how many AFC and MH designations are on the papers.

·
Registered
404 Posts
superxgooseslayer said:
I hope you are not still breeding that line of chessies.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
jtowne said:
superxgooseslayer said:
I hope you are not still breeding that line of chessies.
why?

maybey he didnt masque his wording a little better regarding his experience,but i could agree with his post after i re read it twice.maybey the new pup owners were wank*rs in disguise?
is stubborness and being possesive not part of the famous chessie trait?because according to the books ive read it is amongst other traits also including aggression.perhaps the people who bought the pups didnt have a clue about the breed but thought they did and ended up getting trained by the dog themselves.
"alot of training and attention",without going into greater detail ill agree with that score.
possesive and emotional,yes definately,possesive,emotional yes,my bitch is vocal she "talks"a lot when shes happy.
hard to train ?depends on how you take the word "hard",i could disagree with that bit but "hard"may be misconscrued as "stubborn" and ill 100%agree on that score because from my experience they are stubborn,just depends who cracks first,the dog or you and if you have a submissive personality yourself or hate the thought of being a strict disciplinarian then forget being a chesapeake owner.,and consider something like a goldie or a lab.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I must admit I have only owned a Chesapeake for a little under three weeks but I have talked to many of the top Chesapeake breeders and most would tell you that they try and avoid breeding dogs that have the traits that are considered the negatives of the Chesapeakes of old (overly aggresive/protective, pout or shut down when corrected). Again I dont have the years of experience with the breed but I do think many of the litters being produced today are being breed for trainability and temperment.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.