Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
superxgooseslayer said:
Please read up on Chessies before you purchase one. I have bred and hunted with Chessies for about 10 years now and they are a breed apart from Labs. They are very stubborn and hard to train. Once you get them trained they are hard to beat. They require ALOT of training and attention. They are very possesive and emotional dogs. I cant stress this enough.Most of the people that buy Chessies from me are dissappointed with them because they cant train them. I stress to them what is required to raise Chessies and they always say........I got it, but they dont.
Sounds like you should find another line of Chesapeakes to go with. I don't think your breedings are helping the breed if you are having all these issues with your dogs. Your comments could not be farther from the truth with my dogs and most Chesapeakes in general.

·
Registered
485 Posts
buckmeister said:
I must admit I have only owned a Chesapeake for a little under three weeks but I have talked to many of the top Chesapeake breeders and most would tell you that they try and avoid breeding dogs that have the traits that are considered the negatives of the Chesapeakes of old (overly aggresive/protective, pout or shut down when corrected). Again I dont have the years of experience with the breed but I do think many of the litters being produced today are being breed for trainability and temperment.
Bingo, you are correct. Reading books about the "old" Chesapeakes that were bred to protect the old market hunters possessions are just that, old. Possessive and aggressive were desireable traits back then. They aren't now. Did you also read about if the hunters possessions were missing, in some cases, the Chesapeake was shot on the spot? Thank goodness we don't cull the herd like that anymore.

Someone else posted on agreeing that they are stubborn. Couldn't disagree more. Training "some" Chesapeakes can be challenging, not because they are stubborn, but because your knowledge of training them is lacking. I've had peakes that you really have to take the time and show them what is expected of them. If someone doesn't want to take this "show me" time, they will not succeed in training this type of dog. Drill it and once they understand, move on. They get bored with repetition. Others you can train like a typical Lab. I currently have one of each in my possession. The old "train them with a 2x4" and the people that agree with that statement, don't know how to train a Chesapeake and probably shouldn't own one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.