Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was woundering if any body hunted around there and could tell me alittle bit about it, how is the hunting , what kind of boat do i need, or do i need a boat to get to some good hunting, i do not have a mud motor, so i was trying to see how to hunt it. thanks for any help.
BT

·
Registered
89 Posts
hunting the bottoms wasn't great this year but they had more water than they've had in a long time. I don't think there was a place to put a boat in for majority of the year and very little cover so most were stuck to the perimiters of the huntable pools. normaly you can hunt it with or without a boat, just depends on the individual pool water level. I only live a mile east of cheyenne bottoms but i still rarely hunt it, when it's good there's a ton of people, a lot of out of staters, even on weekdays. check out the waterfowl reports on the kdwp site
http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/hunting

maybe someone that hunts it more can give some better insights on it though. however time will tell how the water and cover will be for next season.

·
Registered
240 Posts
pid hit the nail on the head.

Tons of hunters, out of staters, and excessive pressure on weekends. It can be good later in the year for geese, but the ducks learn real quick where the refuge ends, and public hunting begins. You can kill lots of teal and greyducks, but mallards are here and there.

Dont need a mudmotor, unless the water is real low. In that case, you can just walk in.

Be careful and use the foot crossings, as some of the ditches can be deep.

Anthony

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.