Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how come people talk about using tight chokes, suggest using them, and then complain about people sky blasting. If you are planing on shooting within 35-40 yards there is not one reason to use more than an improved cylinder for ducks. If you pattern an IC barrel at a honest 40 yards or under (not a guess like some people do) and use a decent shot size you will see it has a killing pattern that a duck would have trouble getting through. In the old (lead) days most ducks killed over decoys were killed with a modified or improved cylinder. Full was for pass shooting. Since we know that steel usually patterns a least a choke tighter, you should be able to use IC or Skeet with the same pattern (probably better). It amazes me the people who cannot hit anything over 40 yards with any consistency would handicap themselves with a choke that hinders them from killing ducks at the distance they can kill them. Most hunters think they need a tight pattern, big shot, and heavy loads to kill ducks because that is what they have been told (and sold). If they would use a choke for the distance they can hit a duck they would be alot more effective and have alot more enjoyment.

Example:
One of the deadliest loads avaliable is a shotgun shooting 3 1/2" 4's though a cylinder bore. It gives you a great margin of error and a very deadly pattern. Hunters would have much greater success with this setup than 3 1/2" 2's or BB's full choke. They might even convince other hunters they are truely good shots.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I just use the modified choke that came in my 870. I would like to get a patternmaster though. My friend let me borrow his on a hunt one time and that thing is dead on. Every duck I shot died instantly, no cripples. Most of the time I shoot 3 1/2 #2's. I haven't ever tried #4's. Is there a big difference? If it patterns better I may have to try it out and switch.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pattern master is suppose to shorten the shot string. This is good because you either have alot of pellets on the target at once or you miss completely (at least in theory). It also keeps it tight. If you stay in close though and use smaller shot, even 6's on occasion, you can have a longer shot string, sufficiant pellets, and a little more room for error.

There was a very in depth study performed with the results being the "CONSEP 2000 Steel shot Lethality Table". It states " steel 4s has exhibited good all-around performance for taking small and medium ducks,but has not proven lethal on large ducks beyond 45 yards." It also states steel 3's are the best all-around performance for taking ducks.

The main thing to remember is you want the most pellets (smallest size) you can use that will completely penetrate the bird at the distance you will shoot. If you stay within 40 yards 4's are hard to beat. If you may, on occasion, have to shoot a little farther 2's or 3's will still get the job done just with alot more holes in the pattern.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Shot my buddy's patternmaster monday afternoon at ducks. 6 shots 5 drake mallards in 15 minutes. I was shooting 2 3/4" 6s and every bird hit the water dead. Farthest shot was 12 yards though. Most were inside 10.

Bought a box of 3" 6s. They are some killing machines. We don't shoot at ducks that aren't in the decoys, so loner range isn't a problem.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I just bought the pattern master and haven't had a duck or goose hit the water or ground that wasn't dead!!!! LOVE IT----Although I did like to see the dog chase cripples :thumbsup:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Anyone have a Wad Wizard? I'm still trying to figure out what 10 GA I should get, but, one thing is for sure. Patternmaster doesn't seem to be making one any more for a 10 Ga. However, Wad wizard seems to have them. Kinda a neat web site they have. They take a specific shotgun and pattern it with at least a few different loads. Just would like to get some other opinions

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Remember, The regular patternmaster is made to shoot extremely tight. You shoot a duck with a full choke at 30 yards - he should be very dead. The problem is you have little room for error. Your going to miss a lot more shots than you should.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Yeah alright, I hate to say it but I disagree with you. I know I can speak for myself and probably many other hunters, that bigger loads with tighter chokes will give you more range. And with more range you can hit more ducks period(.). You can shoot your loads if that makes you happy but I (and many other hunters) will shoot our loads, because we believe that will give us a better chance at more ducks.

-SR

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree with you on your point that bigger loads with tighter chokes will give you more range. BUT, just because you have more range it does not mean you will hit more ducks. Maybe you are one of the few that knows how to lead a duck at 50 yards....fine. I guarantee you not more than 1 in 10 (maybe less than that) can do it with any consitancy.

Try something else. Go shoot 2 rounds of sporting clays, five stand,or skeet. One round with a full choke and one round with a IC. I would like to be able to bet on the results. If that does not prove a point to you than I doubt if anything will.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
donell67,
Would you feel ok shooting a duck at 40 yards with a modified choke and lead? You are basically doing the same thing with ic and steel. The after market chokes are mainly sold for companies to make more money. Unless you are going to shoot long shots with large pellets they are basically a waste of money. It's kinda like cars. People want the newest thing out, but, their old car will get you to the same places. Only a handful of people could ever get much use out of a race car....it has its purpose, but , not for everyone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.