Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a benelli nova with a 24 inch barrell that i want to get a choke for i usually shoot the remington nitro steels #2's, 4's, and some times BB.
any advice on a good choke that would work good with what im useing

Charlie Williams

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you get any chokes with the gun? I have a benelli nova and a benelli sbe1. I got 5 chokes with the sbe1 and 3 chokes with the nova. As for using 2's and 4's, I'd use imp. cyl. for decoying ducks or geese and modified for pass shooting. :yes: :thumbsup: Hope that helps. :salude:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I use the modified for dux and geese...full for dove, havnt shot skeet with it yet. Take her out and pattern different loads and pellet sizes...you'll find it to be an eye opener. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I slayed the crap outa if snows last month using cheapo 3.5" BB Winchesters out the modified choke...Killed em dead...WAYYY out thar :thumbsup: I use the same cheapo shells, but, #3's for dux outa the modified as well. For steel, id stick with the mod. Turkeys might be another story :cool:

:hammering: :hammering: :hammering: :hammering:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would have to agree with bgoldhunter. I have a sbe1 and a patternmaster didn't work very well. I went back to a IC and my hit ratio went back up. Now on the other hand, my Remington 1187 with a patternmaster works great. I can reach'em way up and knock them down.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Get a pattermaster you will not be sorry. I think the biggest advantage in having a PM is it cuts down on your lead and eliminates crippled birds. Great for Geese. It hurts paying the $80 but it is worth it. I do not think that it is an overly tight pattern, like I would have expected it to be. It patterns great. On a recent trip to S.D. snow goose hunting my buddy and I ground pounded some snows and shot 19 geese with only 5 shells.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've had my patternmaster in my sbe for a couple seasons now, and after I shot my turkey three times I thought I would pattern it, :tounge: I put a 24 x 24 peice of cardboard up on a 2 x 6 that was driven a good way into the ground and got about 10 to 15 yards away and shot at it, it blew the 2 x 6 in half, completly in half, the top half was about three feet away, but I don't seem to miss a whole lot when I duck hunt with it though, and it seems to kill em deader. less cripples anyways.

·
Registered
450 Posts
:eek: wow, what size shot was it?

·
Registered
940 Posts
I too am a fan of Pattern Master... I have 2 of them. I have the extended ported one... that just loves big steel (3.5" BB's) & I just recently picked up the close range choke they make (I plan on usin' it for 3" #3's or smaller). I haven't used the close range choke, as of yet, but if it's anything like the other one I won't be dissappointed. :yes:

They key here is to match the hatch so to speak... if the ducks are cupped & committed the open choke (I used my stock Rem Modified choke) with the small stuff & killed 'em dead... I primarily shot Federal 3" #3's or 3" #5's (reload) over the dekes last year with not a single cripple. :thumbsup:

If the ducks weren't cooperatin' I'd switch to the Pattern Master & the larger load & killed 'em dead... not a single cripple. :thumbsup:

I also don't over shoot my gun... ducks out of my killin' range. There's nuthin' I hate more than chasin' dowm a cripple... as I'm not the slender "lean greeen killin' machine" I once was, plus they wear the dawg out & chasin' down cripple's jacks up the hunt while the ducks are workin'. :thumbsdown:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.