Which chokes do you prefer to use when your duck hunting
improved cylinder1416.28%
modified4552.33%
full1112.79%
other1618.60%

·
Registered
245 Posts
Last year I shot a Beretta 390S - Beretta Extended Mod. with most shells - Hevi shot mid range with hevi-metal. This year I am shooting a Maxus with a grand passage mod. - Also will be ordering the improved mod.

·
Registered
83 Posts
CLAYBREAKER22701 said:
Last year I shot a Beretta 390S - Beretta Extended Mod. with most shells - Hevi shot mid range with hevi-metal. This year I am shooting a Maxus with a grand passage mod. - Also will be ordering the improved mod.
How are the grand passage chokes? you dont hear about people shooting them very often.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I havent shot it yet - AND I was wrong - The choke I am shooting now is a MIDAS grade with the gold collar. The grand passage is the imp mod and has not arrived yet.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
It depends upon the situation and the type of birds I'm hunting. For puddle ducks over decoys on open water I use IC or LM choke and for woodies with a few mallards in a swamp I use Skeet 2 or IC. If I'm hunting divers at or near the coast I'll use Mod or tighter (original model patternmaster) depending upon the time of year and how the birds are decoying. My choke choice also depends upon the type and size shot I'm shooting as #6 Hevi or bismuth patterns better through my more open chokes and larger steel (#2 or 3) requires a bit more constriction through my gun to pattern well.

Basically there is no one size fits all when it comes to chokes for the variety of waterfowling as every scenario can require very different setups.

·
Registered
237 Posts
As I shoot mostly over decoys with Kent 3" #3 shot I use an improved cylinder choke. I have tried cylinder choke, but prefer IC.

·
Registered
6 Posts
imp mod or full are my preferences. dont get a lot of super close shots with the duck hunting we do and I feel confident if i hit em with a full choke when they hit the water they are gonna stay on the water not just be winged and dive under. a dead bird in one shot is my choice and the more shot on target to me means more killing power. don't want to make the dog work too hard chasing wounded birds

·
Registered
134 Posts
So what do you guys think about a full choke with 3" BB? I haven't patterned it yet but thought about trying it tomorrow for early goose opener. If not I can always go back to the mod

·
Registered
83 Posts
monjorrow said:
So what do you guys think about a full choke with 3" BB? I haven't patterned it yet but thought about trying it tomorrow for early goose opener. If not I can always go back to the mod
Sounds good to me man! :yes: I always like a really tight pattern. I was just recently told though that some think my pattern is to tight but thats how i like to hunt! Kill them at long range and Crush them at short range. Never have to worry if you have enough pellets on target! :thumbsup: Good luck this season! :beer:

·
Registered
155 Posts
I usually use an extended LM/SK2 choke for ducks with my 20-gauge or an extended IC in my 12-gauge. I typically shoot at decoying ducks and most shots are within 35 yards. I'm trying a new spot this year so I'll bring a Mod choke along for the first hunt (just in case).

Now, if we're talking pheasant/chuckar, it would be either a Mod or LM/SK2 choke in either gauge. Again, shots aren't too far as I only have the opportunity to hunt preserve birds. I could probably kill them with an IC choke, but I like to have a little extra on target. A downed pheasant without at least a broken wing and a broken leg is one you won't find.

·
Registered
280 Posts
i shoot a waterfowl full all season with winchester drylocks number 2's

1 - 20 of 24 Posts