Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I wonder how many of them are actual hunting dogs per se to the confusion of beagle for pets and mixed hound breeds you have out there today running at large. I don't know the story behind the strays but would be interested to know the % of pets to hunting dog ratio. It is indeed a sad story but isn't that the author's motive and message they wanted to relay to the readers weither fact based or not.
:huh:

·
Registered
48 Posts
A quote from a person who read this same article and he explains it also.

if I were an anti and I were going to try and get some negative exposure against hunters related to the discarded dogs, I'd do so where more people that don't hunt are going to see them. Bigger, more urban communities."

Dogs showing up in areas like that where there is very little hunting, certainly gives at least a clue that the dog was transported to those places for some other reason besides hunting. That's all I am saying.

A collar-less walker walking around in Lynnhaven vrs. a bean field around Amelia CH. Get the picture?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hokieman said:
A quote from a person who read this same article and he explains it also.

if I were an anti and I were going to try and get some negative exposure against hunters related to the discarded dogs, I'd do so where more people that don't hunt are going to see them. Bigger, more urban communities."

Dogs showing up in areas like that where there is very little hunting, certainly gives at least a clue that the dog was transported to those places for some other reason besides hunting. That's all I am saying.

A collar-less walker walking around in Lynnhaven vrs. a bean field around Amelia CH. Get the picture?
"The Louisa shelter took in 70 dogs in January. Twenty-two, or 31 percent, were abandoned hunting dogs. They are classified that way because of the telltale signs -- breed, collar marks, a skinny frame or perhaps a tattoo. Most of the beagles and hounds are older, but some are young pups afraid of loud noises such as gunfire."

Louisa is hardly considered an urban area

I'm not against dog hunting, not for it either..........to each his own as far as I am concerned

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have 2 beagles for pets, they are my boys. They don't hunt they run around the yard and dig holes. The beagles may be someones pet and not hunting stock. Yet they clasify all them the same because they are beagles but doesn't mean they've been hunted, maybe abused and mistreated by their owners. I don't know. you know. On other forums fox hunters and deer hunters place ads of dogs that are lost and want them back. we don't know the situation with these animals in the shelter. maybe the owners couldn't feed them all and turned them loose. It is sad.

·
Registered
622 Posts
It happens like clockwork.

Every January, a week or so after deer-hunting season has ended, beagles and tri-colored hounds show up at landfills scrounging for food. They rummage through backyard trash cans hoping to find a morsel.

Evidence, Counts said, suggests that most of these lost canines were once hunting dogs, cut loose by their owners because they no longer serve a purpose -- too old, too slow or just unwilling to hunt.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I seen another write up this morning and they had a video clip as well and I agree it is sad and no sences in it :no:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Instead of making people get a license for their dogs. Maybe the State or County you live in should make it mandatory to Micro Chip every dog. If you go to a vet to get the 1st shots/or 1st visit for your dog a micro chip should be included, Mandatory and registered(with a small fee). In my county the vet must notify the county when you get a Rabies shot for your dog/cat. Then the county writes you that you have 30 days to license the pet. If not, there is a fine mailed to your address. Just have the State go a little further and have a Micro Chip be required. That way all dogs can be check at anytime to see if they are chipped. A Game Warden can have a scanner to check while in the field. If the dog has no chip, who ever has that dog with them should be fined (that would include everyone in the hunting party hunting over that dog). This way any stray found will lead the law back to the person that is not taking care of the pet.
I would not mind seeing it extended to humans as well. Try to go anywhere (say a store or gas station) and you don't have a chip in you or a goverment visa with the chip (with expiration date) to let you purchase items while your here. Then the law is notified so they can round them up (do you member the movie Logans Run). This way all those Illegal Aliens here in the the GOOD OLE USA can be picked up and hauled back to Mexico or wherever they came from. :thumbsup:

Again this is my .02 Cents Worth
Because I have nothing to hide I guess :hammer:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Does it bother anyone else that all hunting dogs are being judged by the action of the deer hunters? I never see any articles about those pesky waterfowl labs roaming the streets, or the wayward bird dogs showing up at the landfills. And to go a step further, it seems like all hunters are judged by John Q. Public based on the actions of deer hunters alone.

I have had hunting dogs all my life (labs and bird dogs: setters, spaniels, pointers) and have never had a problem with them roaming the County. I would hate to see a blanket law/ordinance/whatever placed on all dogs or all hunting dogs (if such a category could be proven) based solely on the actions of the deer hunters.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Having owned past and present deer dogs (hounds, beagles, dobermans, birddogs and various mixes there of), rabbit beagles, fox hounds and English Setters. Alot of these so called dropped dogs have been picked up by anti-hunting, bunny hugger types collars removed and taken to shelters or taken away from the area the dog was picked up in and dropped as a way to get at hunters.
I have had this happen to my dogs and have lost some very expensive tracking collars like this. I even tracked my dogs to one of these peoples house and was lied to about my dogs/collars being there and only was able to retrieve them after showing the arse ho the reciever. Needless to say this individual come here type was explained what happens to folks that steal,harm or mess with a mans prized dog and equipment. He no longer lives in the area and am pretty sure he is still looking over his shoulder.

I had this happen every year I ran deer hounds. I had dogs dropped at richmond area shelters,(I hunted in buckingham and they were connected to me by collars and tattoos.

Just my .02.
:mad: :headbang:

·
Registered
284 Posts
What is wrong with our Society??

This question could be debated for days, months, and years.

I don't understand why everyone has to constantly stick their nose in everyones business, just to make themselves feel like they are proving something. Why do we as a society feel that because someone else is doing something we don't agree with, that they should be punished or have more laws set forth on them to regulate their behavior? It is ridiculous. Hey, you moved to the country, "and we like that way", for lack of a better quote.

I have hunted with deer dogs my entire life(30 currently), still hunted without, and killed many deer, but thats not the point. Hounds and hunting stem from the Old World of England.

These guys that own dogs, and I know plenty, who spend countless amounts of money, train, feed, vaccinate and house numerous dogs. The guys and gals that have these dogs love them,and take care of them. True, "they" don't all do this, but it is a small percentage. How many dogs does the SPCA, and PETA put to death each year because they are not wanted? I'll bet its a lot more than some old deer hounds that get cut loose at the end of deer season.

Is this really the biggest problem that our society needs to worry about right now in Virginia?? How about kids getting killed in school, drugs, illegal immigrants, terrorists, the economy, education, and the list goes on. Politicians and Special interest groups need to get a F******* clue, and do something important.

Why do we focus on the unimportant to ignore the "elephant in the room". It is stupid.

Will this issue end your life or hurt your family? Probably not.

And last time I checked dogs aren't people, can't vote, don't have jobs, and don't pay taxes. I have a family pet, and he is fortunate to not be a deer hound because they do have a tough life, but so do a lot of people in our society, if you want to humanize them.

Stand up to this( hokieman you have my support), and don't let them add another law to the seemingly endless list of over the top laws the world is driving towards.

United we stand, divided we fall(as hunters in an anti-hunting society),

In fact, I think I'll start another post with this gentleman.

Brad

·
Registered
490 Posts
Aythya said:
Does it bother anyone else that all hunting dogs are being judged by the action of the deer hunters? I never see any articles about those pesky waterfowl labs roaming the streets, or the wayward bird dogs showing up at the landfills. And to go a step further, it seems like all hunters are judged by John Q. Public based on the actions of deer hunters alone.

I have had hunting dogs all my life (labs and bird dogs: setters, spaniels, pointers) and have never had a problem with them roaming the County. I would hate to see a blanket law/ordinance/whatever placed on all dogs or all hunting dogs (if such a category could be proven) based solely on the actions of the deer hunters.
I couldn't agree more :thumbsup:

I'm tired of other hunters screwing things for the rest of us. I have land in SC that I can't hunt on Saturdays because of all the damn deer hunters letting there dogs run through our land. I haven't hunted deer in over 4 years just because I don't want to be lumped in with these idiots.

It seems like we (duck hunters) do a good job of pressuring one another to do the right thing, as far as being good stewards of the land and promoting our sport as something positive for wetlands and our environment. I like to view myself as a conservationist and often wonder if deer hunters (with dogs) are as concerned with how their actions affect the rest of us.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.