Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yes I was just wondering if any of you used a heron/shorebird decoy for realism and confidance for your spread... I'm looking into one and want to make sure i'm not just burning my money for just ashes... thanks for any help you can give.... :) :D

Mallyard

·
Registered
39 Posts
Absolutely!!! Here in Upstate NY, theres lots of weary late season birds....including blackies. I noticed this year after buying a heron decoy that birds tend to drop right in. On small water, with dekes set about 40yds behind the heron, I had a day where most birds landed out of range and swam into the heron.....if that doesn't say confidence, I don't know what does. Its not a waste of $35 at all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've used many confidence decoys.
I scull boat hunt mostly and have used hand carved gull decoys on the bow of my boat. Also honker siloettes with great success. A partner of mine (also sculling) rigged two Widgeon and a coot decoy to float just off the bow while he sculled. He did well too!
Over decoys I've used heron and coot decoys .
It didn't flare a single bird.

It is not a waste of money. It adds to the experience.

John

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the help i'll look into one for next year. And I've also added a doz. wigion decoys to add confidence (or how ever you spell it) to my spread. Thanks a million agian.

Mallyard

·
Registered
151 Posts
We usually just put some goose dekes out as confidence dekes. We also painted to of the geese swans for the WHITE! :salude:

·
Registered
13 Posts
yes, we use them all the time. If we are in the swamp we really go all out, a lone heron off to the side on the bank, 2 or 3 sleepers, some feeder butts, and also even add in a few teal, widgion, gadwall, a couple of pintail, and even about a half doz. canada floaters off to one side. Then to finish it off, we set out a jerk string.

I really believe they work......not every time, but if it worked every time, it would'nt be hunting.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I love to use Coot decoys if there are any amount of coots in the area.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
:thumbsup: Absolutely: Full body mallards, on a log, or shallow area, coot decoys where there is a population, I've even went as far as a turkey decoy.

There is no alternative for them.

Mojo's have nothing on confidence deeks.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
My response is the same 3.5 years later. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
For ducks some sleepers and butt ups. For geese I can turn the heads to look like sleepers. Used to have some seagulls and a heron.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I hear goldeneye dekes are supposed to work real well in the kansas area for a "confidence" style bird. It could also just be a good attention grabber. Who knows??

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I haven't used them, although I've thought about coots.

I just might make a plywood cutout of me taking a piss, as it always seems the birds come in when I answer the call of nature.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
bgoldhunter said:
I haven't used them, although I've thought about coots.

I just might make a plywood cutout of me taking a piss, as it always seems the birds come in when I answer the call of nature.
Either that, or one of you stretching or getting a cup of coffee or being bored because those 3 or 4 things work every time.

·
Registered
250 Posts
ive found a heron decoys to work really well...thinking about adding two swans this year. I also was thinking about adding some coot or gull deeks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts