Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I saw the coolest dog. It was part Yellow Lab & part Great Dane. It looked just like a Lab except for the jowles, (oh yeah, & it's back was like 3 1/2 or 4 feet tall). It even had webbed feet. I thought to myself what a wonderful goose dog. If anyone has heard of this mix, let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
My female lab is about 50 lbs, my male chessie is about 60. he is pretty small but can carry big geese. You can build a dog up to a huge amount of weight they can carry.

My boss has this training dumby that you put lead weights on the end, his 65lb lab can carry a LOT of weight. probably close to 25 lbs.

Over in Europe they hunt foxes and stuff and smaller dogs actually retrieve these...

I agree though, I like smaller dogs, they are easier to get into the boat! :)

Mike

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well said, guys. I was really concerned about my lab cause he seemed so small. Now , I realize how convienent it is having a "whippet" sized dog. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
size means nothing in dogs. my little chessie jumps pretty far out into the water, can jump a 6' fense flat footed and leaves quite a wake in the water. I have nothing against big dogs, I just like being able to put them in a boat without the boat tipping.

I am a big guy myself, 6'4'' 280lbs so I need all the weight cuts I can get in the boat!

:toofunny:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
98', I agree with you that size doesn't matter. My lab has no problem hauling greaters through the field. I just know from experience that sometimes it takes time for them to get the right hold to reduce awkwardness. This dog I saw could probably wrap his jaws around you or I and carry us around the field. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No doubt... :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Saddle bags :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
335 Posts
now a newfoundland-that would be a great, oversize goose dog. the lab is at least partially derived from it, and they are bread for retrieving people. that would be cool. they def. could haul your decoys.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I like the Newfounldander Idea. A dog that big you could use as a blind or if you dyed it with some white on it the newfy could double as a live "decoy"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.