Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i am thinking about buyin a rifle 2 shoot coyotes with and our laws in nc say that after big game season you can not carry a centerfire on gamelands so i am wondering what to buy i have been reading and everybody says not to get a 17 hmr so what do you recommend 22 mag? i will be making anywhere from 75 to 200 maybe 250 yd shot

·
Registered
581 Posts
you probably wont be able to make any acurate shots over 100 yards with any rimfire. You might have to resort to calling them in more, or night hunting, or you can always use a shotgun.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
If you are limited to a rimfire then a .22mag is the one to choose but I would probably go with a shot gun and some triple A shot if hunting in brushy areas. This is only my opinion, but as in any kind of hunting it is always better to get as close to the game as you possibly can before taking a shot.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have a Marlin 17 HMR and I absolutely love the gun, I know it doesn't have the energy the 22mag does but speed makes up for it. It's absolute terror on anything smaller than a coyote. If you're gonna shoot yotes with it then you better get them to 15 yards or so before you start unloading. On the other hand, I've heard of guys who won't shoot coyotes with anything but a 22 long rifle. Absurd I say.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well guys i apprecaite everyones knowledge and input and i broke down a bought a gun the other day i bought a remington 700 sps varmint havnt shot it yet im waitin on the scope to get hear and i am thinkin about get some of those game reaper scope mounts for it and there is a bi pod on the way as well

·
Registered
459 Posts
You made the RIGHT choice haha. I have an SPS Varmint in 22-250 with a Harris 11-23 inch bipod and a Burris 4.5-16x50 on it. Without a doubt my favorite gun. It wreaks havoc on yotes. I'd actually be afraid to shoot something like a bobcat or a fox with it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im puttin a harris 11-25 inch on mine and it is suppose to be here today and the scope should be here sometime this i hope i sent the guy an email yesterday and he said they where whatin on it to clear before they sent it but any how now that im off my tangent does yours have the xmark pro trigger ?

·
Registered
459 Posts
yes it does, the trigger pull is amazing on the gun, and it's adjustable. you'll know how cherry it is when you shoot it for the first time. I honestly didn't expect such a great feeling gun like this one from remington, and I'm really impressed. I've got mine wrapped up in camo tape but I'm gonna send it in to a company that takes the gun and puts a permanent camo coating on the barrel, receiver and stock, with any pattern you like, I'll be doing sage camo. They do great work, I heard about them in one of my coyote hunting videos.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ive got a card of a company that does it here in north carolina idk how you r about sendin your gun through the mail but i think i might take mine to these ppl they are only about a hour away and the finish looks fantastic they can to do wood grain or camo or other patterns say carbon fiber or just a custom look they also do like dash boards and hub caps as well... it is a dip not a spray or anything like that

·
Registered
459 Posts
i haven't really gotten that far into committing to it but what i'll probably do is have a local sporting goods store ship it out, one of my buddies works at the gun counter and i'm sure he can deal with it no problem. what company are you doing it through?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.