Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you shoot a mallard and pintail cross....can u shoot another pintail? and i was hunting today and a white duck swam up?? can u shoot this...like the kind u see on ponds in parks and stuff......its probably not migratory but i didnt shoot it anyway

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
here if you already had a half pintail you wouldnt want to shoot another pintail.pintail is closed here now. you could probly shoot the white duck but i wouldnt want to. probly somebodies pet that got lost.

·
Registered
380 Posts
mallardhunter said:
I don't think ducks cross breed, .
:umm:
I have shot Cross Bred ducks...Mallard/Blacks, Mallard/gadwall, Mallard/Crap Duck.

I saw last year, Wood duck/hooded merganzer Cross. Had to give a Biologist the Farm location so he could go out and look at them to see what they were. EVERYONE thought I was CRAZY when I told them about these ducks! Woodduck head, Hood merganzer bodies.

The mallard Crosses that I have shot were confirmed thru the USFWS when I was sending in Wings from shot ducks.

I was told by a Waterfowl Biologist, a Drake mallard, when his Hormones get to Raging in the Breeding Season will Breed just about what ever he can!

As for the question about the pintail cross and the Crap duck. You would need to check with your local Game Department.

Here in PA Crap Ducks have NO Limit and are considered Fair Game!
Just have to make sure you don't shoot someones pet if you are hunting a Farm.

Some of the Mallard Cross ducks can be PRETTY UGLY!

·
Registered
70 Posts
back at my mothers house in VA she had a wood duck drake take up with a mallard hen....hung around for years in her back yard.....

never saw any offspring though.....

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I believe here in WA farm ducks and geese have no limit and no season. I have heard there are a few in the river down around Wenatchee and residentual areas. I have also heard there are worries about the mallard/black ducks cross breeding as it is getting more common. I have never seen it out west here but have heard from guys hunting the east coast it is common to shoot a blackduck mallard cross.

·
Registered
39 Posts
cross breed are a common thing, my uncle got a green wing teal / widgeon crossbreed, and it was one of the coolest nd prettiest duck we have ever seen, but my dad got a pintail/mallard hybreed duck, nd it was the ugliest thing we had ever seen

·
Registered
24 Posts
My brother killed a cross a few years ago down here in Texas, north of Houston. It was bigger than a mallard but had really dark colors. I emailed a picture of it to DU and they said their best guess was a mallard/woodie cross. Its a beautiful mount, but each time i see it i get reminded of how i missed it twice before he shot it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I dont think people usually know it is a cross untill after they shoot it, ours looked like a mallard tell u got right up too it, but u can usually tell if u know what the different types of ducks look like, the mallard pintail hybred we got looked likt a mallard, only had a green spectrum on its wings, a long poitnier tail, and peppering on its back, white in its cheeks, and half of the white coller around its neck, and along the very top of the head it was brown, not green, like a pintail

·
Registered
14,455 Posts
They definitely cross breed. Like any male in heat, they look for any port in a storm.

Each year a few weeks past Easter, the white Peking ducks show up in our local subdivision ponds. Apparently, that cute little ducking that sissy got for Easter got bigger and started leaving quite a mess on the Berber carpeting, so out goes the duck.

Unfortunately, these ducks get in the gene pool with the wild ducks. The offspring are real cute until they start to become huge terrible looking mallards with wings so small they can't fly.

Nature can be cruel to any living thing, but it is especially cruel to animals that are ill prepared for the seasons. These half breed mallard/pekings are just that. When the ponds freeze solid, the wild ducks take to wing, while the cross bred ducks decide that walking to Louisiana is out of the question, so they just stand on the ice and wait for spring.

I am not sure what happens, but I don't know that any have ever made it through the winter. The dogs, coyotes or birds of prey must get them.

My daughter and I have taken on a pair as a project. The ducks need food, water and shelter from predators to survive. There is some water trickling into the pond all the time, so they can get water to drink. We bring a shoe box of bird seed to them each weekend, but the shelter thing is up to them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have shot afew mallard/black cross here in Maine. We got a strict black duck law here and had it for 20 years. We are allowed 1 black per day and its pretty much our state bird if you ask us hunters. If I get a cross and it looks more like a mallard then I will take a black as well. Frig em , I buy my stamps every year.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I got ta ask it. Is a cross duck simillar to a mad dog or a mad cow??? :help:

Seriously though we have shot some Blacks that had some malard markings or vise versa.

Keep the sport alive take a kid hunting/fishing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
It is GENERALLY considered that a cross breed that is taken is applied to the LESSER of the two species bag limit . . . . e.g. Mallard / Blk = Mallard, Mallard / Pintail = Mallard.

Problem here is that individual DNR Agencys, officers, areas, MAY consider this subjectivley. Always check with the "local" authority.

:)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Shot a pretty duck. My last duck on the last day of the season. Had three set up on me and only needed one to fill the bag so i drew the bead on the biggest one and dropped it. Had the body and wing color of a Black Duck, but a bright green head and two curls on the tail. It was double banded. When I called in the bands, it was labled as a four year + old Black Duck. The other band was a $100 reward band just for calling them in. What a great way to end another great season

"If its brown.....its down"

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.