Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... Hows the hunting in CT? I'm in the navy and am considering taking orders to Groton CT and was wondering what the hunting was like. I hunt and fish anything and everything, so how is it up there, the fishing, hunting so on? I've been fortunate to have been stationed in some great places for duck hunting, but I think effort and scouting are 90% of it. Some places I've been, people say it sucks, but I do good because I put in the time. Anyways, nothings carved in stone, but it's a good possibility, so wondering how the fishing/hunting was in or around groton without driving more than an hour or so. Thanks for any and all replies.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Shock......nothing like in Texas....so understand that first....it is a populated state to say the least, with alot of local and specific restrictions etc.

BUT....it offers alot of great shooting....waterfowl espcially and even though there are places where you will run into competitors, there are so many great areas that if you put in some effort, you will be 'alone'. Either inland on ponds, strams etc....or on the salt.

Groton is of course on thwe Sound....I have done alot of shooting off the Thames for alot of different species, including mallard, blacks, widgeon, buffies, brant, canadas and others.

The Thames has a great population of stripers....even now at the warm water discharge. Trout are well stocked in CT throughout the season and there are some great streams in the SE part of the state. Bass and picks are everywhere and some lakes are getting good at walleyes.

They stock alot of pheasants....and there are many clubs that offer hunting in addition to the state stocked or permit required areras. They have to be tagged and you can only get ten tags per year. Deer hunting is not easy due to regs, but the herd is plentiful....even on state l;and where it is slug only and lottery....private land is not all that difficult to get permits for...just need to do some homework and legwork. I think you can take as many as 7 (maybe more) a year with different tags.

I could go on-and-on. IMO Conn has alot to offer....I grew up in the state and know first hand.....no Sunday hunting - but RI is close by for that and RI is another great opportunity for seaducks etc.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I'd love to hear more about it. No Sunday hunting?????????what the heck....I guess the wife would like it...lol. Fresh-water down here stinks, but before here I came from Corpus Christi, and that place is the fishermans dream, sharks, offshore snapper, 7lb trout and 45in redfish are the norm...then to come up to N. Tx and go for crappie and bass.........oh well, good eatin. To me it seems the state is so small you could get anywhere in a reasonable time. Is there allot of private land thats hard to get?? Here, for deer hunting it's gotten ridiculously expensive for the blue-collar guy to go dear hunting unless you know someone, or you want to fight the crowds on public land for a 2-pointer that dresses out at 60. So theres good duck hunting if you put in the time to look for it huh? I'm used to...if you find a lake or river, generally it's public land, contact the local game warden and make sure it's ok, and generally it is.....same there?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
thanks for adding to the column....as you can see, I am pretty much it...although there appears to be alot of lookers and no contributors....I"LL KEEP TRYING GUYS TO GET YOU TO ADD!!!!!!!!

anyways Shock.....the state is very private....to hunt deer on private land you must obtain written permission from the landowner on a state form...with the town's plot markings noted etc...then if you want to hunt w/ a rifle he needs to have at least 10 acres and an additional sig on the form....bottom-line is that you cannot just go out on land posted or not. For state lands you need to enter a lottery in the late winter....gets you a week (there are two one week seasons I think)...and you must hunt your chosen area if you get pulled and in the season A or B as chosen and with a slug. Of course there are archery and muzzleloader season t0o. On private lands I believe you can take three deer, but at least two must be does?? I do not recall all the details exactly...so check the state's DEP site.

As for hunting ducks and geese....there are a ton of geese....I participated in the summer resident count last summer and they estimate the resident Canada (these are giants, no lessers or other sub-species) at 36,000! Best hunting chances are in corn fields and there is always some excellent water hunting....just got back from CT late season hunt on LI Sound and had excellent gunning. Late season loimit is 5....regular is generally two, but the state is diuvided into zones so you need to know the regs. There are many thousand acres of state lands (WMA) and there are always state forests. Private farms offer the field hunter alot of opportunity, but they are getting harder and harder to get into....in fact the 'lease' issue us starting to come up this way! There are a couple of good guides (I used to guide for one) so let me know if you want to get a hunt going and I will connect you.

The rivers are great for hunting....just need to be 500 feet from houses...or 250 in tidal waters........I do alot of hunting along the CT river which has alot of coves, points and flooded areas offering excellent mallard shoots....the shore provides scaup, scoter, a few eider and a few long-tails.....if you know where to go and have the boat....brant are kinduv localized.....so scouting and mobility are essential

two New England states (maine and CT (maybe in MA too)) do not allow Sunday hunting....and don't expect it to happen anytime soon....even though the state legislatures are always considering it....it will never happen IMO

I lived in Wethersfield....just south of Hartford...and w/in 70 minutes I could be anywhere in the state....actually maybe 90 to reach the far southwest section....but that is heavily populated and I rarely hunted there....although there is some good shooting I understand.

Check the other posts in our CT forum....I try to keep some reporting on the hunts I still do there. For example, over last Thanksgiving I hunted a few mornings or afternoons and came home with alot of meat.... a couple of those hunts were within the shadows of Hartford... and I saw only one other group on Thanksgiving morning, none on Friday and Sat I was on private land hunting geese with my outfitter friend. The first two hunts were on 'open land' along the CT River.

Stay with us here in the CT forum ,........ you'll be happy with the opportunities afforded the sportsman in CT.....there are some negatives about the state (kinduv why I no longer liver there!)....like alot of people, cars, congestion, pollution, corruption, expensive etc....all issues I no longer want to readily deal with....there are alot of fun things too like the aquariums, the cascinos, the beaches, the lakes, the hills, the museums, schools, rural areas and farms etc.

Good luck in making a decision. It is a great place overall!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.