Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, has anyone tried Dead coyote on geese? Or any other waterfowl?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Hevi shot #2 has an effective killing range of 100 yds with 122 pellets in an 1.5 oz load with an initial velocity of 1450 ft/s.

Dead coyote has effective killing range of 150 yds with 53 pellets in a 1.5oz load. I don't know why you shoot at a goose that is beyond 50 yards. Not saying it will not work, but I'd rather have the pellets count than a killing range of 150 yards.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Dead coyote is not designed for waterfowl. I have used it on geese though. Its usually my 3rd shot because its to expensive. I shot a cripple at 65+ yards and had 3 pass throughs. One thing that it does that steel shot cannot do is buck the wind. Steel sheds so much energy so fast that on a very windy day you could hitting everywhere except your target. DC is great in limited situations but for the most part is a waste of money.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Do a search in the honey hole and you will get more than you ever wished on the subject. But in my opinion its called Dead Coyote not dead goose for a reason. At 45 yards or less there are alot of options that will be as effective or better.

Hevi shot #2 has an effective killing range of 100 yds with 122 pellets in an 1.5 oz load with an initial velocity of 1450 ft/s.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Like Don Taylor said

Dead coyote is not designed for waterfowl. I have used it on geese though. Its usually my 3rd shot because its to expensive. I shot a cripple at 65+ yards and had 3 pass throughs.
The only way I could see using it is if I kept 2-3 in my pocket just in case of a cripple getting away or if your in an area with coyotes. Other than that get them in close or else you just educate the birds for the next guy.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Dead Coyote is a flat out skybuster load to the extreme. If you are using it you are either very uninformed or you could care less about hunting geese in an kind of a rational or sporting way. #4 has way more pellets and kills farther than most can even think about shooting accurately.

·
Registered
148 Posts
i use dead coyote for all geese and hevi shot 2s for ducks bs u cant kill a goose at 150 yards with it maybe 70 yards on a very calm day dead coyote works very well and knocks um dead

·
Registered
17,699 Posts
jrockncash said:
Do a search in the honey hole and you will get more than you ever wished on the subject.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think they are all locked if not removed, good stuff :yes:

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Toasty said:
100 Yards??? That is a stat that I have never seen before. Where did you get your info from? I would like to see it.

I don't know all the laws in the country, but I do know that using dead coyote is illegal in many states for regular duck/goose season. So, check with the CO or rules/regulations to make sure you don't get a ticket! Happy Hunting!

MM

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Thaner Im with you man, I was just trying to be nice.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
100 Yards??? That is a stat that I have never seen before. Where did you get your info from? I would like to see it.
According to my ballistics program it still has a velocity of 575 ft/s at 110 yards. If you don't believe my numbers go to:

http://www.bucksrunsports.com/

Click on the steel shot/hevi shot link, scroll to the bottom of the page and they have a table of velocities.

I don't make up my numbers, but I might "misremember" them from time to time.

Thaner's post was right on, direct and to the point without any fluff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts