Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

This is my first season hunting ducks and geese, and I'm obsessed now. I've been hunting some permanent blinds on a swampy oxbow, mainly getting wood ducks and widgeons. 500 yards in the distance I watch Canada geese and mallard flocks flying along the main river corridor and rarely I can get some mallards to turn to my calls. So I'm looking to change my location to target the Canada geese and mallards setting up under that flyway - and looking into decoy options and setups. I have permission on the land that goes up the river, but I have no dog so I can't shoot birds over the water or they will float away. My setup options are an open grass field that they geese fly over, or a big gravel bar where I've seen ducks and geese flying over. Near the gravel bar there are a couple eddies and a swampy oxbow hole.

I bought 4 floater Canadas thinking of putting them in the eddy, but now I've been reading about silhouettes and wondering if a dozen of those would be more versatile for putting on the field or directly on the gravel bar. I see many posts about guys using 3 to 30 dozen silos, but can 1 dozen work if I am on the flyway? Are the Cabelas silos decent or would you recommend something else? The cabelas mallard floaters have been working ok so far.

Is it a bad call to try to put out mallards and Canadas together? I'm after both - but I'm mainly interested in what's going to work best. Any advice is welcome, appreciate your help! - Sean

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I'd avoid the Cabela's silo's....I've been reading they produce a lot of shine and glare...you don't want that. 1 dozen is fine to get you started....you can always add more as the season goes on. Shells are another good option to consider. I've used solely shells for years with good success, but plan on adding 3 doz. silo's for next season.

·
Registered
255 Posts
No input on the silhouettes but it sounds like your doing what we call “running traffic”. That’s were you not hunting a location they want to be in but rather under the route they take to get there. In that situation, most tend to prefer to use large numbers of decoys to get there attention and maybe pull a few down for a look. I’m not a goose hunter but down the mallards I’d want at least 4 dozen decoys and maybe thrown in a dozen black ducks for the contrast. I’d probably put out every decoy have to get there attention. If your new that will get stupid expensive though so try to ease into it. Maybe buy 6 or 12 as your budget allows and build up over time.

A million years ago when I was a kid, making silhouettes out of thin plywood with a wooden stake was how the goose inter did it. Back then no one manufactured silhouettes so it was the only option. Paint was pretty minimal black, white and grey to get the large color patterns. Your looking to get there attention and detail is probably not as important as visibility. On Reelfoot Lake in TN they use what they call filler killers which are essentially black jugs. Totally spreads of regular decoys and those around 900 is common and it works.

Ideally, being where they want is best if you can swing it. Then get yourself very well hidden and be still. Concealment is usually more important than decoys or calling.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
get 5 doz Divebomb silos, and their bag to go with. its economical and you'll need the numbers if you're trying to decoy passing birds/ running traffic. not always easy but a lot of the time running traffic is a numbers game.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts