Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one ever use this decoy dolly from Cabelas? It looks pretty neat, not for the THICK marsh I know. Where I hunt is pretty much like the Cabelas picture in the advertisement, flat and open. Plus lugging those dekes close to a mile sux! Please click on the underlined site below, Cabelas site, to see what I am talking about. Thanks!
www.Cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/po ... ction=push

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not one person uses this thing or has seen one being used by someone else????????? You're kidding right??????
:salude:

·
Registered
899 Posts
i have a basic game cart that I bought from Cabela's several years ago for around $100. I use it once in a while when I am hunting by myself and have a long way to pack in. I'll strap 2 decoy bags and assorted other gear to it, then put my laydown blind on my back and head out. Beats making several very long trips.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Don't use that one. I have seen them at the refuges. At the end of the day the water and muddy gear make it worse. I use an old deer cart my wife got me from Cabelas years ago. I got the sled (it's actually a small boat also cabelas) that I strap to the cart and off I go. I usually hunt the marshes, leave the cart on the shore and pull the sled through the water, My walk is much easier in the deep mud. When I get settled the dog sits in the sled and out of the water.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
HuntMQ....touch base with Dogman! He made one with little cost and it is quite nice!

I have a tutorial for one....but it is a large document over 1.6 MB and in ppt which I canot download........I might be able to send it to you via e-mail .... if you like, I will try

lastly....if you are inclined to be creative.....find a used golf bag cart at a garage sale for a few dollars....the newer version with the wide wheels.....can be easily converted to take a load with 3/8" plywood, and will fold up for hiding/storage.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for the replies. I just didn't want to spend $250 on something thats "untested", figured someone out there has seen one in use or they have used one. I'll check out the build plans posted. Everyone be safe out there.
:salude:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dogman.....trying to open your post, it shows that page can not be displayed.. :pissed: . Is all of the www.site listed in the post or is the system jacked up? Thanks. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't use the cart, but bought a sled from Cableas and built a harness for my YML. He loves to pull it. I can carry aboout 4 doz. decoys with ease. I also use it for yard work. I just load it up with flowers, mulch, limbs, and he pulls it to where my wants them planted or dumped. I guess you could say thet I have a true yard Dog :getdown:

·
Registered
449 Posts
its all about making your hunting experience more enjoyable. I had the same idea last year and we tried it...

we hunt a refuge near fallon, NV. One of our favorite spots is about 3/4 mile walk (through fairly flat very fine soil) from the road. We cary all of our equip with waders on plus homemade marsh seats--pretty hard work and we havn't even hit the water yet. So we bought a deer cart from cabelas and piled our gear on it. It works pretty well; two of us have to pull it because of the terrain. We leave it at waters edge and use it to haul everything back. it has its ups and downs but it does beat having decoys, gun, blind bag etc. stacked up on your back for a near mile trek through crappy soil

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Way too small for my needs. I bought the Cabelas magnum deer hauler a few years ago, use it maybe twice a year if too muddy to drive into the field while goose hunting. I spray several coats of tan paint onto it as it comes a dark color.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The wheels on most of the game carriers are to narrow, like bike tire. In muddy conditions they sink under the weight. I made my own cart with two wheel barrow tires. the ones that are kinda meaty looking and flat treaded not the rounded off ones. I made a 2X4 frame two 3/4" electrical conduits for handles(that i bent into shape). I strap the larege cabelas sled to it and carry about 150 - 200 lbs of gear out every hunt.

·
Registered
622 Posts
h2ofwlr said:
Way too small for my needs. I bought the Cabelas magnum deer hauler a few years ago, use it maybe twice a year if too muddy to drive into the field while goose hunting. I spray several coats of tan paint onto it as it comes a dark color.
I use a mag deer hauler, it works great :thumbsup:

·
Registered
41 Posts
My brother inlaw has the cabellas dolly you speak of. Him and his son hate it. It really is no help in packing gear.You still have all the wieght supported by your arms. They are dead tired after a 1/4 mile pull, and thats when they take turns. Save your self--DONT BUY IT-DONT BUY IT
DONT BUY IT.I think this is the best tip you may recieve in your life time

Seasoned vet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.