Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone explain the different type of keels available on duck and goose decoys? (i know this seems elementary, but everyone had to learn about them the first time.) thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
basically water keel and weighted keel. water keels fill up with water when you put them in water for stability.but they wont self right like weighted keels will. and weighted keels are more stable. the only advantage to water keel is there lighter so if your packing a bunch in a long ways its easier on your back. but if your not doing that get weighted keels.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I perfer water keels over weighted for a couple reasons.... the water current does more to add movement in water keels then in weighted ones and for packing in or out, it's simple....the lighter the better. Haven't had any issues with stability at all.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
on big water. on chop. water keel sway back and forth bad. at least some of them do. but most walks in are for small water. where you dont need weighted keels. in current my weighted keels have plenty of movement.

·
Registered
138 Posts
See I've used Flam water keels on my puddlers for years and wouldn't use anything else. Never had a problem even with all the wind we get due to Texas blowin' and Kansas suckin'. :toofunny:

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i love it when i get a straight answer on things. great info everyone. thanks! :salude:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.