Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to duck hunting, started a couple years ago with a couple of friends that go. My problem is that they don't go enough! I'm starting to get myself outfitted little by little and I'm looking at decoys now. My question is how many decoys should I buy? What different kinds are best? I hunt a mix of open water and timber. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
82 Posts
it really depends on where you live, hunt and how you hunt. for open water i use 2 - 3 dozen mallard, a dozen green wing or blue wing teal and some sprig drakes and a couple hens on the outskirts. Try some duck butts and sleeper mallards too

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Depends on the pressure too. We will throw out a whole bunch or very few depending on how the ducks are acting that week. As for species, what ever is natural to your area. I have GWT and mallards. Going to buy some widgeon and gaddies too.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Way too many unknowns to give you a good answer.

Public or private?

Flooded fileds or timber or Sloughs?

Big or medium water or pothole?

Species you are after. Which frequent the area?

Using a boat or walkin in?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hunt whatever I can get into.
Typically I hunt Public ground so it's getting a fair amount of pressure. I hunt flooded timber, flooded fields, and open water. As far as location, I hunt North and Central Missouri. I sometimes have access to a boat to wak in with. Thanks and I hope this helps with any answers.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
If primarily walking in to spots, weight becomes a big consideration (water keel decoys vs weighted keel). But water keels are not self righting if your throw them. Also how many do you want to carry on your back? Word of advice-buy a real good padded decoy bag if walking in alot--Cabelas makes an excellent padded bag. Nothing worse than being poked in several places in the back as you walk in for 20 minutes.

Small waters you can use small decoys(reg size) where as big water generally bigger decoys(mags or Smag) or alot more numbers of them are needed.

Public hunting they see alot more spreads--do something different than what the average joe is doing. If they are mostly using 4 dz Mallard decoys---use 9 decoys or 9 dz. Or vary the species by adding Pintails, Widgeon, etc..

Hopefully a few guys from MO, AR, TN and S IL can pipe in since the hunting is similar in the region and they may know a few things a yankee does not know about the region.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Start with a dozen mallards and go from there.After that just keep adding I don't think a guy can ever have to many decoys even if he doesn't use them all
Ditto :toofunny: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :thumbsup:
I believe the same goes for calls, camo hats, camo clothes, gloves, and women. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
81 Posts
If hunting in timber, you don't even need a doz......In a field you need all you can get and then some.

Start with a doz or 2 and go from there......you can kill ducks with a doz.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I like to make a spread with about 10 pintails, 15 green heads and 8 blue heads and that is preety much it unless goose season is in then i make it a wide sperad

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.