Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year all,
I put this in the decoy forum but I don't how much foot traffic that gets. Plus it IS duck season so I thought this would be something good to talk about:

With guns, of course it's about condition but it's also a lot about the brand too. So a decent shape Parker will be more valuable than a mint condition Mossberg, let's say....
But with there being so so many talented carvers out there that no one has ever heard of, how do you determine the value of decoys? I've got some really nice Broad Bill and Black Duck decoys that I want to unload to a local antique shop. How do you even go about assigning an asking price? They are very clean and vintage looking with aging that enhances their appearance, nice paint and glass eyes. But they were carved by the old guy who I got them from.
Automotive tire Automotive design Sculpture Motor vehicle Fender

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Those are cool decoys, slack. I just sold some old eider decoys. I really have no idea what they are worth but I put $100 each on them and they went quick. Usually if I have an old decoy I just try and trade it to someone else with a cool old decoy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, if you look at the one closer to you, you can see that the carver laid up pine planks to make a blank, then sawed out the shape, and the shaped it from there. The heads are very nicely done and I love the color of the bills.

·
Registered
14,149 Posts
Man, people went to some real effort to make decoys back in the day. I think about all you can do is look on fakebook marketplace, ebay, etc to get in the ballpark.

·
Registered
11,086 Posts
Thanks, if you look at the one closer to you, you can see that the carver laid up pine planks to make a blank, then sawed out the shape, and the shaped it from there. The heads are very nicely done and I love the color of the bills.
Look closely and you'll see that they were both made that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts