Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does decoying wood ducks work very well. there are some here i know but i have yet to kill one. we h unt off a lake that has some timber where they are. if i got some wood duck decoys will that help in killin them or will they just blow past them on their way somehwere else? Do they decoy like any other puddler?

· Registered
124 Posts
well i think it doesnt matter i have taken more wood ducks with mallard decoys then with wood duck decoys in my spread the last time i went out to the timbers i set up with four mallard decoys in a beaver pond it was a long walk back in the woods anyway the point is if you can shoot a bullet out of the air you will get a wood duck thay are fast as hell

· Registered
2,569 Posts
I'm with klush- I take 4-6 mallard dekes and throw them in. I think the larger size works well for visibility, and I would rather buy more mallard dekes than wood ducks, since I would only use them at a couple of spots early in the season.

· Registered
3,108 Posts
I have 13 Woodie decoys. I use them mostly early season. I use a bunch of Mallards and a bunch of BWTeal all in family groups in the eraly season. Woodies are unpredictable, but on occasion I'll have a woodie bomb right into the woodie decoys. But I think being in the right location is more important.

· Registered
624 Posts
We kill more woodies than anything else and I think that the secret is being where they want to go. I have had some drop in with some mallard dekes, but they were already headed into that hole. I have had good luck with a woodie call. They won't go out of their way out of their way, but if they are coming in to where you are it will definitely pull them by for a closer look. :thumbsup:

· Premium Member
6,203 Posts
:withstupid: Wood ducks end up being a good part of our yearly duck count.

· Registered
747 Posts
I have woodies decoy all the time to mallard decs, location is the key. They will mostly commit to a small spread of mallards on a pond or small pot hole in a marsh. Rarley do the commit to open water spreads, but at times present some pretty nice pass shots.

· Banned
4,943 Posts
I use 8 Woodie dekes. 6 Drakes and 2 hens. Try to put them close to shore and next to tall trees. I like to kick the water every once in a while for some movement. I;m convinced that when Woodrows see movement in your spread, they'll pitch right in so you can shoot um' in the lips.
I got 17 before it froze up this year.

11-Drakes
6 - hens

· Premium Member
2,111 Posts
We NEVER see wood ducks where i hunt. Except for one time.. I went for a walk to "jump shoot", and when i was gone (my brother was still at the spread) about 15 of them landed right by our 4 goose decoys mixed in our spread. He was able to shoot 1 before his gun jammed up. Wish I hadn't been out walking.

· Registered
49 Posts
I prefer to use Mallard decoys. I had a group of 6 woodies land right smack dab in the middle of my decoys and even a merganser lit 10 ft from it as well. Ive heard Woodys are shy about coming to decoys but if they do it doesnt really matter mallards or woodies, pick your poison.

· Registered
594 Posts
i have found either they want in or they don't...they usually land in my spread about 15 minutes prior to shooting time....later in the day they skirt the decoys and land in the woods away from me.....so if you hear the whistling wings get ready and shoot on the first pass.

· Registered
41 Posts
I don't have a whole lot of experience duck hunting, but I have seen three groups of wood ducks come in to other decoys this season. One set of two looked like they were going to land but took off about 10 feet above the decoys, a group of 6 dz mallards, at about 10 am. The second was a lone female that landed in a group of 1 dz pintail on the edge of 2 dz mallards right before shooting light. Last weekend we had a pair land in 5 dz mallards/1 dz pintail right at shooting hours.

· Registered
186 Posts
I hunt a river where we just throw out 6-12 mallards and right at daybreak the woodies will kill each other to get into them. Man nothing like throwing up on a bunch of fast flying woodies only to watch them go skyward and blast em out of the air. :getdown:

· Registered
526 Posts
If you are out to specifically kill woodies then my advise to you is to leave your robo or any spinning wing decoy behind. Through my experience, except for a couple of times, woodies flare and shy away from them. If you do bring a robo, then leave it off for first light, that way you won't jeapodize some good early shooting

· Registered
673 Posts
Well I dont know about anywhere else but I have become an expert for our spit of land in East Texas. The ONLY and I mean ONLY woodies that will decoy are the ones that have JUST flown in on a front. The ones that have been there for up to a week just wont do it. You can watch as they rocket past at 70 mph that they are on a frozen rope to a spot that they have been landing on the entire week :thumbsdown: . Now if you can find a spot they've already been going then sit there, dekes or no, they'll fly right into your face, just be ready cause it happens fast. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.