Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
yea, if they are water dekes then the keel will make them face the wind anyway, and ducks can land without the wind but in my experiences 99% of the time they land into the wind. So be sure and set up with the wind at your back. Another thing, try too keep the sun behind you if possible so the ducks have to fly into it and it makes it hard for them too see you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
land or water dekes i allways face a few with the wind makes it more realistic. there should be 2 holes on ur dekes whereu tie em down just tie it to the back and it will allways be with the wind. and most of the time ducks and gesse will land into the wind.

good luck.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I think what is being overlooked and the real point and is important is this---the decoying ducks will approach from the down wind side of the decoy spread. So where you position yourself in relation to this so that you are concealed and yet get nice close shots is very important as they are coming into/landing in the decoys. As for passing through birds, they will and can come from any direction. GWTeal are notorious of coming with the wind and buzzing the spread and keep on going. If the the ducks or geese are interested in sitting with the decoys and they are coming with the wind or crosswind, they generally will bank around and come up on the spread from the downwind side of the decoys.

As mentioned the water dekes will face into the wind or varibles of 90 degrees to each side of the into the wind--their movement is good IMO. When setting up for field hunting using Full Bodies or shells I basically place 50% into the wind, 25% facing left and 25% facing right - there will be many variables to the angle of into the wind. Watch feeding flocks of ducks or geese and their body posistions in relation to the wind and also how close or how loosely they are to one another, and duplicate it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.