Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
its all a matter of your hunting situation

do you do alot of walk in hunting if so go water keel to cut down on carrying weight.

if not go weighted
i have and use both weighted keel decoys you can throw out to the spread and they will always end up right side up.. water keels need to be kinda placed out out of my water keel spread there is always a couple that land and stay on their heads

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Rowdy makes a couple of great points......if doing any carrying of the decoys for any distance, by all means go with the water keels....but in most situations and from a boat especially, I would siggest the weighted keels. I do not throw my decoys (don't want them wet on top due to icing or glare), though a weighted keel decoy is likley to self-right.....more importantly, a weighted keel decoy will ride the water better, especially in open water, winds, waves etc.

I started out many years ago with water keels my first season for versatility's sake, then added weighted keels the next season I still keep a couple dozen plastics handy for walk-ins.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Rowdy and Duckhtr both make scence but if you get water keel and find that you don't like them then you can always plug the ends of the keels after putting some sand or other weight in them.

Keep the sport alive take a kid hunting/fishing.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Greg Wile said:
Rowdy and Duckhtr both make scence but if you get water keel and find that you don't like them then you can always plug the ends of the keels after putting some sand or other weight in them.

Keep the sport alive take a kid hunting/fishing.
good tip!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.