Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I have shot some of the beretta's. I own a weatherby orion grade 1. Sweeting shooting gun. The beretta's I have shot feel like well built guns with a good fit and feel. I do have to ask though why are you going to use suck a nice gun for duck gunning? Upland and clay's I can see but duck hunting is so hard of gun's.

·
752 Posts
I would certainly say go with the Beretta but the Weatherby is a good gun also.

I have a plain Orion and an Athena V, but then I have 5 different kinds of Beretta O/U's, many of which have never been fired.

I duck hunted with my Orion for a good while and its definitely a good gun, however the Red Label is not even a mud/knock around gun for me.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
The Weatherby is okay. Basically the same as the SKB. I have never had one, but shot plenty of them. I don't care for them, but that is a personal thing more than a quality thing. I don't like the looks and feel of the gun.

I have had three RRLS and will probably not ever have another. I love Ruger and have 5 hand guns and 6 rifles, but I had problems with all the RRLs I had. I shot way too much volume and they didn't hold up. When you are shooting competition and they act up you can't have that.

I have had 6-8 Browing Citori guns of all kids for trap, skeet, sporting, and field and don't have one now. They are great guns and built like tanks but don't have the stream line feel and handling I like in an O/U. They have a bit of a big feel and high center of gravity that recoils into my face too much. Much of that is gun fit and personal body shape. I shot 10's of 1000's of rounds out of the Browings and never had one issue with any of them. I still have a couple small ga Citori's and I love them. They have a trimmer feel.

For a 12 ga. I love the Beretta O/U's. I find they handle better, have a trimmer finer feel in the hand, point better, recoil straighter back into the shoulder and swing smother than any other O/U I have ever shot. I have a 686 onyx sporting 30" I love and that one goes to the grave with me. It is an old style before the extra wood and the thicker longer target stocks. It takes a field gun size butt pad. It is a lot like the 686 waterfowel gun with a wider rib. I love that thing. I sold the rest of my 12 ga. target guns and use the 686 for all target work and only use 20's and 28 Browings for upland. I really want a waterfowl O/U and use my 686 sporting when the conditions are nice and I know I will not damage it. I want it to last the rest of my life, because this model is hard to find now and it is still in 95% or better condition. You can spend all the $$ on a gun you want but if you can find a 686 watefowel and it fits I think you should grab it and save your $$ up a little more and get what ever nice one you want for other shooting.

That is me and what works for me. Everyone is different. It is hard to go wrong on any of the upper end O/U's if they fit you good and shoot where you point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts