Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
most breeders have this doen before you get your pup, I got my chessie from the pound and he still has them. If your dog gets them ripped off it will bleed till you get him to the vet. I am debating whether to have them removed or wait and see. I hunt him in some thick stuff, so I should probably get them removed.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
My dog still has hers. From what I've read (I don't have the original reference since it has been awhile, but I just found this online http://netpet.batw.net/articles/dewclaws.html and heard from other upland hunters the dew claws help the dog get traction on quick direction changes (i.e. following their nose or chasing a downed pheasant). Having the dew claws is also supposed to cut down on ACL injuries. I don't think its' as important for waterfowlers, but my impression is that serious uplanders like to leave them on their dogs. If injuries do occur then take 'em off.

-Matt

edited by 98ramtough- fixed hyperlink.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.