Duck Hunting Forum banner
140281 - 140300 of 140360 Posts

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Any of you fellas own or had any experience with the Ithaca SKB over / unders? I've found a near perfect condition model 500 about an hour from me for $850.

Good gun? Bad gun? Online reviews are strongly positive. What say ye?

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
With half a green head? That makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very well may be. Copy and paste of a research papers from an old forum post about exactly this. Seems as female hormones drop, hens may shift to look like drakes.

“Moreover, sexual and seasonal differences in the coloration and structure of plumages often depend on hormones. In the case of the mallard
(Anas platyrhynchos L.) it has been known since the beginning of this century that the presence of the gonads is necessary for the induction of the sexual and seasonal dimorphism in the plumage of this species. Gonadectomized mallards of both sexes eventually molt into the male nuptial plumage (Goodale, 1910). From treating castrated female
and male mallards with estrogens, it was concluded
that the bright nuptial plumage of the drake represents the neutral, sex hormone-independent coloration of the species. In the intact female, estrogens secreted by the ovary suppress the formation of this neutral plumage and induce
the characteristic dull henny coloration. In the intact drake, estrogens secreted by the testes during the reproductive season should lead to the formation of the cryptic postnuptial eclipse plumage (Swetosarow and Streich, 1937; Caridroit, 1938; Emmens and Parkes, 1940), which strongly
resembles the female's coloration. However, testosterone also is a potent inducer of the eclipse feathering in castrated mallard drakes and this effect is dose-dependent (Haase and Schmedemann, 1992).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

140281 - 140300 of 140360 Posts