Duck Hunting Forum banner
141601 - 141620 of 141698 Posts

·
Registered
12,588 Posts
Shoot em up, Moe! (y)

Had the youth duck hunt today. Took a 12-year old kiddo and his dad from the neighborhood out today. Probably one of the slowest youth hunts I've been on. They are usually non-stop action for the first couple of hours, but not today. Still ended up with a limit of birds, it just took a bit longer than usual. I inadvertently left my phone at home so didn't get any pictures, but I was pretty proud of my puppy-dog today. Aside from her barking and howling at us while we were throwing out decoys this morning (damn noisy mutt), she did a great job retrieving 7 ducks (and as an added bonus 3 coots). Had a couple of cripples diving on her and she stuck with it and ending up getting all that were shot back to the boat. She only broke once when we had a dozen teal land in the decoys before shooting hours. We've worked a lot this past month on "place" in the boat and she did a good job staying in her spot. She continues to make all sorts of loud, weird, crazy, almost non-dog sounding noises while she sits in-between retrieves, but I think that is starting to mellow a bit. I need to try to get a recording of some of these noises. I don't even know how to describe them -- moan, groans, squeals, whines, purrs, half-barks. It's the oddest darned noises I've ever heard out of a dog. Should be a real fun season with her this year.

Hope y'all are having a good weekend!

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Sounds like you had a great day L&L. I went out for early goose with a good friend in New Hampshire this morning. Never saw a goose but had a good time hanging out with him. It’ll be the last time we see each other for a while so we made the best of it. After hunting we put a new blind on his tdb 17 while having morning beers and mostly picking on each other.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
43,319 Posts
Shoot em up, Moe! (y)

Had the youth duck hunt today. Took a 12-year old kiddo and his dad from the neighborhood out today. Probably one of the slowest youth hunts I've been on. They are usually non-stop action for the first couple of hours, but not today. Still ended up with a limit of birds, it just took a bit longer than usual. I inadvertently left my phone at home so didn't get any pictures, but I was pretty proud of my puppy-dog today. Aside from her barking and howling at us while we were throwing out decoys this morning (damn noisy mutt), she did a great job retrieving 7 ducks (and as an added bonus 3 coots). Had a couple of cripples diving on her and she stuck with it and ending up getting all that were shot back to the boat. She only broke once when we had a dozen teal land in the decoys before shooting hours. We've worked a lot this past month on "place" in the boat and she did a good job staying in her spot. She continues to make all sorts of loud, weird, crazy, almost non-dog sounding noises while she sits in-between retrieves, but I think that is starting to mellow a bit. I need to try to get a recording of some of these noises. I don't even know how to describe them -- moan, groans, squeals, whines, purrs, half-barks. It's the oddest darned noises I've ever heard out of a dog. Should be a real fun season with her this year.

Hope y'all are having a good weekend!
As I've said, my yellow was once removed from Cosmo...his Dam was a Cosmo pup. He too was a talker, moans, groans, weird little noises that just made ya laugh. Never barked. Wasn't a blind or bird thing, just vocally expressive. Dreams were crazy to listen to sometimes. He got a little quieter about 4 or 5 but it never bothered me.

Sounds like she did well! And y'all had fun! (y)

·
Administrator
43,319 Posts
Sounds like you had a great day L&L. I went out for early goose with a good friend in New Hampshire this morning. Never saw a goose but had a good time hanging out with him. It’ll be the last time we see each other for a while so we made the best of it. After hunting we put a new blind on his tdb 17 while having morning beers and mostly picking on each other.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nice to catch up before ya take off. (y)

·
Administrator
43,319 Posts
Morning OG!

Went fishing at my local spot Friday evening and sweating that my time is getting short to wet lines with winter coming. This spot looks like a quarry but formed when they built an elevated off ramp for a freeway to an old trucking road that feeds suburbs into downtown. It sits adjacent to a river. Prior to businesses being built around it, I "heard" from old timers that it was a pay pond stocked with game fish. I have been fishing it for going on 36 years from a float tube.

Seems the really "nice" fish aka 19+" largemouth are fewer than they used to be. I live on believing that at some point I'll tag that 23" fish again but you gotta catch a lot of damned 14-15 inchers to get there. Think I need to take some out and eat them, did that a couple times last year and should have this year.

Anyway - in 36 years I have only accidentally caught two crappies. One earlier this year and this one from last night which hit on the topwater. Two times prior to last night, fishing a rubber worm along small brush lines, I set the hook into something LARGE but line was cut in both instances after a couple hard head shakes. Last night I was casting a 10" worm headed back to my truck, in the middle of the small and a fish picked up my worm.

It was a 30 yard cast straight out and I'm slowly paddling toward it working the worm and bringing in slack. I realized pretty quick that there was too much slack and that an undetectable strike had happened and a fish was swimming toward me with the bait. Pretty quickly. Reeled up, felt the fish, and set the hook.

"Tink"!. Line cut on the hook-set before I could really gauge what sized fish was on the other end. :mad: Cut clean.

My theory on the 3 instances over all this time is a musky or a pike. I have no way to prove that but given the waters' history as a pay pond and running aside a river think its logical, musky my 1st guess. More of those in these part than pike.

Either way, 3 times in 36 years does not warrant fishing a leader. :rolleyes: But I sure would like to land the SOB once.

1st crappie on a top water too, imagine it happens a lot I just don't crappie fish much.

Fish Fin Marine biology Ray-finned fish Tail

·
Registered
12,588 Posts
As I've said, my yellow was once removed from Cosmo...his Dam was a Cosmo pup. He too was a talker, moans, groans, weird little noises that just made ya laugh. Never barked. Wasn't a blind or bird thing, just vocally expressive. Dreams were crazy to listen to sometimes. He got a little quieter about 4 or 5 but it never bothered me.

Sounds like she did well! And y'all had fun! (y)
I really don't mind the funny dog noises either, they are pretty entertaining during the slow stretches. Now the howling and barking that echoed through the marsh when we were setting-up decoys in the dark is another thing altogether. :cautious:
Question for you: I've been to a couple of hunt tests, but don't know much about them. Also, never been to a field trial. Are there bonus points in those events for speed? :LOL: If speed is a factor, this mutt of mine would shine. When in that depth of water that is not quite deep enough to swim and not quite shallow enough to run at a normal gait, but requires something more like a jump-run type of motion, she looks and sounds like a damn freight train going through the water on retrieves. The flat out speed is something to behold.

·
Registered
12,588 Posts
Morning OG!

Went fishing at my local spot Friday evening and sweating that my time is getting short to wet lines with winter coming. This spot looks like a quarry but formed when they built an elevated off ramp for a freeway to an old trucking road that feeds suburbs into downtown. It sits adjacent to a river. Prior to businesses being built around it, I "heard" from old timers that it was a pay pond stocked with game fish. I have been fishing it for going on 36 years from a float tube.

Seems the really "nice" fish aka 19+" largemouth are fewer than they used to be. I live on believing that at some point I'll tag that 23" fish again but you gotta catch a lot of damned 14-15 inchers to get there. Think I need to take some out and eat them, did that a couple times last year and should have this year.

Anyway - in 36 years I have only accidentally caught two crappies. One earlier this year and this one from last night which hit on the topwater. Two times prior to last night, fishing a rubber worm along small brush lines, I set the hook into something LARGE but line was cut in both instances after a couple hard head shakes. Last night I was casting a 10" worm headed back to my truck, in the middle of the small and a fish picked up my worm.

It was a 30 yard cast straight out and I'm slowly paddling toward it working the worm and bringing in slack. I realized pretty quick that there was too much slack and that an undetectable strike had happened and a fish was swimming toward me with the bait. Pretty quickly. Reeled up, felt the fish, and set the hook.

"Tink"!. Line cut on the hook-set before I could really gauge what sized fish was on the other end. :mad: Cut clean.

My theory on the 3 instances over all this time is a musky or a pike. I have no way to prove that but given the waters' history as a pay pond and running aside a river think its logical, musky my 1st guess. More of those in these part than pike.

Either way, 3 times in 36 years does not warrant fishing a leader. :rolleyes: But I sure would like to land the SOB once.

1st crappie on a top water too, imagine it happens a lot I just don't crappie fish much.
Always ticks me off when a fish comes disconnected before seeing what species and what size. Do you ever use a wire leader in musky waters? I'd imagine braid or mono would be no match for the musky teeth.

Also, I love those crappie! They, along with perch, are my favorite eating fresh water fish.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Morning OG!

View attachment 477689
You might try a heavier weight, 20# test fluorocarbon leader, about 6" long or so. The fluorocarbon is very thin but tough. Another alternative is tiger wire. I use it a lot for Musky and Pike. I don't think the fluorocarbon would affect your catch rate at all.

·
Registered
14,660 Posts
I really don't mind the funny dog noises either, they are pretty entertaining during the slow stretches. Now the howling and barking that echoed through the marsh when we were setting-up decoys in the dark is another thing altogether. :cautious:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

One of my hunting partners had a lab that had to be tied up while we tossed decoys in the wooded pothole or it would try to retrieve every tossed block. Sounded like the dog, tied to a tree, was undergoing torture as we set-up.

Another partner joked that - You can barely hear her in the bottoms.:whistle:

As the incessant barking, yelping and howling echoed throughout a fifty mile radius. :oops:

·
Administrator
43,319 Posts
You might try a heavier weight, 20# test fluorocarbon leader, about 6" long or so. The fluorocarbon is very thin but tough. Another alternative is tiger wire. I use it a lot for Musky and Pike. I don't think the fluorocarbon would affect your catch rate at all.
Thanks Gone, you are right and I have considered it. I've used fire wire and it kills accuracy on pin point shoreline casting which I do a lot of, and at night. About sprained my wrist on a log hookset once too which sucked for 3 weeks. :eek: I don't do leaders because I get a bit of line twist running rubber worms and # 2 and #3 hooks a bunch. That, and fooling with leaders in the dark in a float tube kinda sucks. 3 of these strikes over 36 years just doesn't want to make me change my habits. While I think it's a Musky, I also think the warmer shallower ware in this impoundment doesn't allow them to spawn well or grow fast. If it did, I should experience this a lot more than I have. There is plenty of bait fish in there though, and a tom of soft vegetation growing on the bottom. Never used to be that bad but no one is managing it either.

·
Administrator
43,319 Posts
Question for you: I've been to a couple of hunt tests, but don't know much about them. Also, never been to a field trial. Are there bonus points in those events for speed? :LOL: If speed is a factor, this mutt of mine would shine. When in that depth of water that is not quite deep enough to swim and not quite shallow enough to run at a normal gait, but requires something more like a jump-run type of motion, she looks and sounds like a damn freight train going through the water on retrieves. The flat out speed is something to behold.
Those Sir, the speed, is where you earn style points. (y)

·
Registered
20,875 Posts
When in that depth of water that is not quite deep enough to swim and not quite shallow enough to run at a normal gait, but requires something more like a jump-run type of motion, she looks and sounds like a damn freight train going through the water on retrieves.
Called "driving water" here.

Re: speed, if trials were judged with stop watches, instead of straightedges, mainstream retriever training would be much different.

·
Registered
12,588 Posts
Called "driving water" here.

Re: speed, if trials were judged with stop watches, instead of straightedges, mainstream retriever training would be much different.
In a trial, if two dogs perform a certain task in precisely the same manner, but one does it in say 5 minutes and the other in 8, they are scored exactly the same?

I need to go watch a few trials. I know there are quite a few hunt tests that are held near me, but what resource can I use to find trials in my state?

141601 - 141620 of 141698 Posts