Duck Hunting Forum banner
142361 - 142380 of 142441 Posts

· Chlamydia KId
12,778 Posts
Being the 2nd driest state in the nation, flooding is something we rarely have to manage here. We've been in a pretty severe drought cycle the past few years. This year has been something else, however. Several of the ski resorts have received 300+ inches of snow this year and apparently we are about 200% of the usual snow pack. The past week and a half we have had nearly non-stop rain and snow. It's been pretty interesting -- one day gets really cold and snows a foot, then the next day is in the mid-40s and rains for 24-hours straight melting all the snow. Then the next day, the temps plummet and it snows another 10 inches, followed by a warm day of rain.
This fella lives about half a mile down the road from me. A few more storms and he's going to have to construct an ark. His driveway is straight out from the house on the left of this photo and is completely submerged. I have no idea if or how he is getting any vehicles out to the main road. The good news is we won't have to steal any of Michigan's water (this year).
Sky Water Building Tree House

· Bird Whisperer
20,989 Posts
Been there done that. I live on a river with bottom land around me. Kids used to pray for flooding because the bus couldn't get to the house.
Made me think of an aunt and uncle's swinging bridge next to the ford crossing the periodically flooding creek between their farm and the outside world. No flood days for my cousins.

· Administrator
43,795 Posts
Made me think of an aunt and uncle's swinging bridge next to the ford crossing the periodically flooding creek between their farm and the outside world. No flood days for my cousins.
And "that" reminds me of the deep ditches that ran throughout a wildlife area we frequented for Pheasant in a wetland. State could control water and they were maybe 15 feet wide so there was no "jumping" them. And they always had water and likely 6 feet deep at a minimum. Just impassible for a hunter. As they wound through the wetland, you couldn't "go around" in any short order either. No foot bridges.

It was one reason why a flushing dog ruled. Time and time again behind a Pointer the heavily pressured birds just made a run for the ditch and hopped over it 100 yards ahead of you. Occasionally you could see it happen albeit the bird never had to hop too high since the ditches were so deep.

Guess blockers would have helped but there weren't enough birds to support 4 hunters. And while most handlers are happy for the dog work and a buddy's success over it, someone else shooting all the birds while you do the work gets old.

· Administrator
10,137 Posts
Mornin All

I am gonna pass on those temps, balmy 60 here right now. We had the Arctic blast during Christmas weekend, that was not fun at all!!

142361 - 142380 of 142441 Posts