Duck Hunting Forum banner
142401 - 142420 of 142441 Posts

· 1/2 Alien
23,912 Posts
Ouch. And ya wonder how many industrial parks have vacancy signs up. You have enough neighbors to fight it with gusto?
This is a drone shot of my backyard from my driveway, so not not really haha. Went to the township meeting last night and we all told the council we don’t want this to happen but the vote was yes. Where they are going to get the people is a damn good question.

Sky Natural landscape Tree Plant Grey

· Administrator
43,795 Posts
This is a drone shot of my backyard from my driveway, so not not really haha. Went to the township meeting last night and we all told the council we don’t want this to happen but the vote was yes. Where they are going to get the people is a damn good question.

View attachment 478401
Apparently you don't shovel your driveway.

· Chlamydia KId
12,778 Posts
Looks like a really nice spot, Bo. Hate to see urban sprawl ruin another nice, quite rural spot. I'd see about getting hold of and planting some endangered plants, insects or frogs in that locale so the area has to be classified as a 'sanctuary for endangered species' and, therefore, not developable.

When I lived in my previous house, the city we lived in had covenants that stated the smallest residential lot that would be approved for a building permit was 2 acres, and most homes in that city were on 3-5 acre lots. There was a proposal at a city council meeting to change the covenant to 1/4 acre lots so developers could establish some 'retirement communities.' I attended the first council meeting that this topic was on the agenda, and it darn near turned into an all out bar room brawl between the long-time residents of the town and developers. In the end, the proposal was approved and several years later, that town has lots of high density housing areas and apartment buildings out the wazoo. In 5 short years it went from a very nice rural area to an inner city mess.

If I didn't already hate politicians and small city government with a passion, this experience swayed me heavily.

· 1/2 Alien
23,912 Posts
Looks like a really nice spot, Bo. Hate to see urban sprawl ruin another nice, quite rural spot. I'd see about getting hold of and planting some endangered plants, insects or frogs in that locale so the area has to be classified as a 'sanctuary for endangered species' and, therefore, not developable.

When I lived in my previous house, the city we lived in had covenants that stated the smallest residential lot that would be approved for a building permit was 2 acres, and most homes in that city were on 3-5 acre lots. There was a proposal at a city council meeting to change the covenant to 1/4 acre lots so developers could establish some 'retirement communities.' I attended the first council meeting that this topic was on the agenda, and it darn near turned into an all out bar room brawl between the long-time residents of the town and developers. In the end, the proposal was approved and several years later, that town has lots of high density housing areas and apartment buildings out the wazoo. In 5 short years it went from a very nice rural area to an inner city mess.

If I didn't already hate politicians and small city government with a passion, this experience swayed me heavily.
This is a shot down my driveway from yesterday (HNT is right I don’t plow it, that’s what 4x4 is for) but my drive is an abandoned railroad bed. The grade continues across the road and runs through my property.

I’ll spare you the long version of the story, but in the 80’s my grandparents blocked a subdivision that intended to use the railroad bed to access the land behind what I posted in the pic above - by getting their (and now my) property designated as a sanctuary due to the trillium found growing here.

Snow Plant Natural landscape Twig Wood

· Homey
14,975 Posts
I get both sides of the debate. We just built a house at the Lake of the Ozarks and I heard two ladies walking the road one day complaining about all the trees we took out. She is correct. We took out about the same number as were taken out on both of their lots on which their houses were built (whenever that was). And I have no doubt the 60 year old house I occupy in the city was once a beautiful forest which was cleared to make a beautiful farm that was eventually developed as a subdivision.

The hard truth is if you want to control it, you have to buy it.

· TEX
4,468 Posts
I get both sides of the debate. We just built a house at the Lake of the Ozarks and I heard two ladies walking the road one day complaining about all the trees we took out. She is correct. We took out about the same number as were taken out on both of their lots on which their houses were built (whenever that was). And I have no doubt the 60 year old house I occupy in the city was once a beautiful forest which was cleared to make a beautiful farm that was eventually developed as a subdivision.

The hard truth is if you want to control it, you have to buy it.
I watched that show ozark. Crazy stuff happening over there. How’s the fishing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Chlamydia KId
12,778 Posts
This is a shot down my driveway from yesterday (HNT is right I don’t plow it, that’s what 4x4 is for) but my drive is an abandoned railroad bed. The grade continues across the road and runs through my property.

I’ll spare you the long version of the story, but in the 80’s my grandparents blocked a subdivision that intended to use the railroad bed to access the land behind what I posted in the pic above - by getting their (and now my) property designated as a sanctuary due to the trillium found growing here.
Beautiful. That picture looks like something out of a Robert Frost poem. I'd fight tooth and nail to keep that spot as an untouchable trillium farm.

How many acres is the Bo ranch?

142401 - 142420 of 142441 Posts