Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on using my dads old duck gun, a 870 wingmaster 2 3/4 inch, this year until I buy my own. I am keeping an eye out for a new duck gun, but didn't know if there is that much a difference, or if it is worth it to buy a 3 1/2" mag rather than a 3 inch gun.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
this is a pretty open question and you will get many different answers. For me, in my hunting situations 2 3/4 inches is plenty for ducks. My gun shoots 3 1/2 inches and it is great for geese. I believe I can down more geese at 40-45 yards with the 3 1/2 than I did with the 3". 2 3/4 definately does not give you the range as 3" and 3 1/2" on geese.
If all you shoot is ducks I don't think you need a new gun. Find a way to get closer to the birds and you are fine. Too many folk that sky shoot these days, I can't imagine using 3 1/2 inch shells on ducks. Just seems overkill to me. JMHO

:salude:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
3 in is all you need. I have a gun that shoots 3.5 in and never use a 3.5 in shell. I shoot 3" at geese and 2 3/4 at ducks. IMO if I can't get close enough to a bird to shoot at them with a 3" gun then I don't need to be hunting.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
My hunting partner and I only shoot 2&3/4' shells with 1oz of #2 shot for both ducks and geese with good results on both. let them get inside of fourty yards before you pull and learn to lead them properly. You should do fine. Fedral Speed Shock 2 3/4" #2 at 1375 fps out of a 12ga modified choke.

Keep the sport alive take a kid hunting / fishing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts