Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AC-DC's hit song Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap gets the credit for the topics wording. Most feather detail decoys when used in muddy water will need cleaned once in a while to bring out the colors. The muddy water leaves an accumulated film on them after use. They all look better when it's raining. Don't you all agree?

You can use soap and water to brighten the colors and remove the film in the feather details. But who's ever done that? Some of us hose them off at the end of the season.

To give them a cheap cleaning, and a wet look that will last a long time use tire cleaner foam. The big spray cans of foam are cheap to buy. Pick out a few dull colored ones that you think have needed repainted for years, and try it. :salude:

My dozen Green Winged Teal once looked pretty rough in the sunlight. After the foam cleaning and resulting wet look I was surprised at the difference. Waterfowlers get serious when it comes to decoy colors. October's issue of Field & Stream has a good article on refurbing dekes; Sportsman's Notebook on page 39. :help:

Let me know what you all think after giving your decoys a shot,....of tire cleaner foam. :smile:

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think it is a great idea I myself have never tried it but I have heard of it befor and I think I will try it this season :smile:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,

I've noticed your cool avatar many times. :cool: Maybe you saw an edited version of the original sent to Ducks Unlimited magazine in September of 99 and used as a tip in the Mixed Bag section in Sept/Oct issue in 2000.

I always wanted to send in something to the magazine. To my surprise they used it. The hat sent 6 months before was proof that it was accepted.

Thanks for your note Kansan :thumbsup:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hey,
Thanks, you know I think that is where I saw it
well hey I have to go so talk to you later,
shane

1 - 4 of 4 Posts